holiday nightmare advice

LauraG

Hi, I recently had a bad holiday experience and would like some advice.
We went to Fuengirola, booked flights ourselves (myself, husband and 2 kids age 2 and 1) and I booked an apartment off the internet. Basically the apartment was advertised specifically as a child friendly apartment that didn't want any golfers, or stag parties. When we got there the balcony (on the 4th floor) was so low we had to leave. It was just too dangerous if she wandered out in the middle of the night or anything. The guy who owns the apartment sounded very nice and said we could have a full refund at any stage if weren’t happy(before we went). However we rang him straight away. He totally disagreed, got aggressive and told us to get out (which we were going to do anyway). He won’t accept that it is not child friendly and also said it was not his responsibility if the 2 year old climbed! He now won’t refund the money (€500). I took a photo of our 2 year old looking down onto the pool with the balcony at chest height.

Any one any advice for me on where I could get help?

Unless you booked the accommodation through a company with an Irish base, I'd be inclined to chalk it down to experience and forget about trying to get it back. The hassle (and cost) of dealing with a different jurisdiction means it jut won't be worth it. I know its €500, but it could cost you a whole heap more if you try to pursue it.

You could try the European Consumer Centre in Dublin and see what they have to say. This guy sounds like he deserves for someone to give him a hard time.

As a matter of interest, what's wrong with golfers?!

Are you sure you are being rational? Was there a lock on the door to the balcony? I am assuming that you would have been conscious of monitoring two smallies on a balcony and that would have probably made you more nervous but are you sure that the apartment was child unfriendly? You assert that the apartment wasn't child-friendly based on the balcony I assume, he asserts that it is. I'd have to agree with j26, I don't think you will get much joy on this one. Without something in writing to the effect that he promised a full refund if you were unhappy and without something more definitive in either your requirements or his specification I can't see this being resolved to your satisfaction.

TreeTiger, didn't you know? Golfers are just stag parties all growed up :) load of lads off for a few rounds between eatin' and drinkin' and makin' a mess

not sure what he doesn't like about golfers, there was no lock on the balcony. So what happened if she sleep walked? Even so, even sitting beside her on the balcony you just couldn't settle know there was a big drop there beside u that she could jump over in a second. your supposed to relax on holiday!

I suppose Laura G it is acse of buyer beware
Post feedback back on the website you booked from that it isn't suitable for kids

Back