holiday location with 1yr old ?

gramlab

Looking to go on hols around aug/sep with a 16mth old. Probably somewhere reasonably sunny like portugal,canaries, spain etc.

Somewhere with a nice beach fairly close and will probably rent a car for one of the weeks so places to go would be a must. Dont want somewhere too wild or too quiet. Not big drinkers but wouldn't mind sitting outside a bar for few drinks some of the nights. Most brochures only give details about places with older kids in mind.

Any ideas?

We went to Hotel Amadores in Purto Rico in Canaries last August for 2 weeks and my little boy was 15mths then. It was great. Massive bedroom, Ensuite had bath and shower. Half Board - Food was fab. Would go full board next time. Fridge in room. Air con. Lovely full size cot in room. Lovely playground which was directly below our balcony. We did'nt use a kid's club or anything - he was too small. Lovely kids pool. Entertainment for kids everynight - the kid's club put on a show everynight and involved all the small ones as well. Entertainment every night. We used to go and have a few drinks everynight after dinner and bring him with us - with a little one you go to bed early anyway! Very child friendly. Glass lift down to Road/beach level. Between two beaches and only a short walk to Shops. Taxi's readily available from hotel entrance. We went on a couple of bus tours and there was no problem with buggy either. Taxi transfer to and from Airport.

I brought cow & gate follow on milk which was ready to drink & I brought a few jars in case I was stuck, (which were great for trips away)and I brought nappies. They have pampers etc out there but who wants to go looking for stuff like that on hols - they are much dearer there anyway and you have all the extra empty space coming home! Those uv swimsuits are brilliant as are the swim nappies. It has a massive spa which I made full use of. I will be going back there again. Enjoy!

I would highly recommend the Marina club in Lagos in the Algarve. We've gone for the past 3 years. last year our daughter was only 9 months at the time and we had a great time, we're going back next week and she's not 16 months so looking forward to it again.
The marina club is exceptionally clean, nice stroll to the beach and 10 minute walk along the promenade into town or restaurants on the marina too. Lagos itself is lovely, very relaxed and no mad night-life.
check it out on tripadvisor. Sunworld do packages to it and check out marinaclub.com.pt. Plenty of great places to explore then by car. head inland to find some beautiful mountain town and villages

Going from cork -- all packages to menorca seem to be from dublin only. Bit of a pain going up and down so will probably have to look elsewhere.
Already been to gran canaria twice so would probably give that a miss.
Essentially looking for a fairly quiet spot with a decent selection of resteraunts and within a short drive to some non-resort beaches. Will probably be impossible to get exactly what i want but will keep looking.

THese is a UK website but some of the suggestions are very good. You can get packages from Ireland to some of the places listed and some are independently owned so you just need to make your own travel arrangements.

www.babygoes2.com

BRIAN MC Hi,

Can you tell me how you got here from Faro ? Taxi, Car Hire ??

Thanks

Back