Holiday Insurance Claim rejected!

dubliner56

Just wondering if anyone else has had a claim rejected by a Holiday Insurance company on the grounds that "not enough responsibility was taken to secure their belongings"..., the story goes like this, my son went on holidays with his friend and his family to Gran Canaria last August.

My son and his friend shared an apartment. On the 2nd night of their holiday, whilst they were in bed asleep, their apartment was entered by an intruder/intruders, 800 Euros was taken on my son and 400 Euros on his friend. Their money was secured in the safe which was in the sitting room. The intruders went through their clothes and found the key to the safe which was in his friends trouser pocket.

The intruder/intruders entered through the patio doors which were closed but not locked.Thankfully my son and friend did not wake up or the scenario might have been more disastrous.

I can only assume that because they did not have the doors locked that this was their reason to reject our claim, we do intend to have our case re-assesed, are we wasting our time??.

I would dispute the company turning it down, I once had a claim & they wanted me to claim on my "all risks" on my house insurance - I told them I didn't have that & that is why I had holiday insurance. The only problem I can see with your son's claim is that he told the company the door wasn't locked. Try again anyway, as I believe ins companies turn down claims first time around just to put people off claiming.

Have you looked at the policy and seen the maximum cash limits insurable?

Seperate from the aspect of not taking sufficient care , ( having so much cash may also seem a tad irresponsible), I wonder if the travel insurance policy would cover those cash amounts; most policies limit loss of cash to 200-300 euros. And there's usually an excess limit anyway, so often it's hardly worth claiming on some policies

Find out the cash limits and the excess before taking this further.
Naturally, they got a police report ??