Holiday in Sicily

!RAY

Hi All
Myself and My wife (no kids) are looking at Sicily for a two week holiday at the start of September. All We want is lots of sun, good food and good wine . Has anybody been to Sicily and were have they been .Any Recommendation much appreciated .
Cheers
!RAY

We had a wonderful holiday in Cefalu a few years ago - about 1 hour's drive from Palermo.

It's a small town and offers sandy beaches, winding streets flanked with all manner of shops, excellent restaurants serving the freshest of fish and last but probably first, its unique Norman cathedral. In the evening people sit at tables on the main square in the shadow of the cathedral and watch the world go by.

I've been to Sicily twice. Spent 1 week travelling by Car and visited most of the Island. The second time was to a wedding held in Taormina. The highlights of the two trips were:

Taormina - Cultural and beautifull place - must be visited

Mount Etna - Live Volcanio - need I say anymore!

Siracuse and Ragusa - South of the Island - temples / historical areas

Agrigento - visit the temples and old city

Catania

The food!!!

this was a usefull link

http://www.thinksicily.com

Beaches very rocky especially around the North of the Island - i.e Palermo - Cefalu

Entrance fee for some of the beaches

Some of the Cities are very congested and run down especially Messina

Taormina - Cultural and beautifull place - must be visited

Mount Etna - Live Volcanio - need I say anymore!

The food!!!

I agree with above, Taormina is simply beautiful. The beach resorts below the town itself, accessible by cable car or bare-knuckle drive/bus (its built high into the mountains/cliffs), think its called Giardini Naxos (low gardens) are very touristy, and feel it too.
The views of Etna from Taormina was excellent.

Palermo is far too cluttered, noisy and smoggy. We found Siracuse too hot! you are almost in Africa down there. Its more of a fishing town. Messina is an old Italian Navy port, and now disused, so there are a lot of sunken Navy boats and destropers in the docks.

Recommend renting a car, but it is NOT for the faint hearted, and I mean that. The twists and turns of the climbs into the hill-top towns and Taormina are very alpine (incredibly steep, narrow, twisty and lots of traffic), and trying to stay ahead of a mad italian in his Fiat 128 doesn't make it easier! Best rollercoaster ride we've ever been on.
Traffic is banned in most of the village of Taormina.

As for night-life, its far from Ibiza, just what we were after.

EDIT: heres the google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourcei...ly&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=image

note the motorway that looks like it goes through the town is actually a tunnel under the mountains, the white heap of spagetti is what you'll be driving on

Last edited: