holiday in france sept 07

X

xlendi

Never been to france but my wife and i would like to visit south east france Carcassonne or montpelier area, dont want to drive just relax ,walking, wine tasting ,scenery, ect. Flying from dublin any ideas.

Montpelier is lovely as is nearby Beziers. There's a little port town called Cap D'Adge too which is like a mini Monaco with boats. I'd rent if I we ye and stay somewhere close to the coast. You'll need a car too. Try and somewhere close to a villiage as you'll then get your frash bread in the mornings. Pick up a set of boules too!

Don't forget the rugby world cup is on there this year. Don't know if that is a plus or minus for you, but either way you should bear it in mind - it may impact your plans

Been to Carcassone and enjoyed it - good restaurants and nice to walk around. The old walled city (hilly approach!) is worth a visit - it's pretty touristy and busy but has nice restaurants too - a bit pricier than the 'new' town. Dublin goes direct: airport is a fomer military one - tiny and a doddle to get through. Good local train services and some nice smaller towns half an hour or so away. Wine district is Corbiéres (?) - wasn't hugely impressed but it's certainly drinkable, cheap & plentiful!

Also, there is a nearby town which is the centre of the - can't remember what it's called - champagne type drink (but they can't call it champagne)Amusing to see locals in the square in cafés drinking the stuff from ice buckets like it's going out of fashion!

As always, French is always useful when in France(!)

Any specific questions, I'll try to answer!

.....champagne type drink.....
Probably Limoux, where they claim to have invented sparkling wine years before it became fashionable in Champagne..... enjoy. The "Cremant de Limoux" and the more traditional "Blanquette de Limoux" sparkling wines are both delicious.

Probably Limoux, where they claim to have invented sparkling wine years before it became fashionable in Champagne..... enjoy. The "Cremant de Limoux" and the more traditional "Blanquette de Limoux" sparkling wines are both delicious.

Yes Omega! - that's exactly what I was thinking of: Blanquette!

Speaking of sparling wines has anyone drank some of the many delicious ones from Saumur? delisha patrisha

just back from that area...flew in carcassonne and stayed in Argeles...

plenty small villages and towns to visit in that area...we just didn't have enough time to visit them all

One I would recommend is Sorede for a lazy afternoon on the hill tops in their small cafes

I know the Languedoc Region well & I love the area around Carcassonne, Bezier, Narbonne, Corbier. Some tips:-
* Although Sept. is a great time to go be aware that this region is in the heartland of French Rugby & with many world cup matches taking place there in Sept. accommodation may be difficult.
* Look at the excellent "trip advisor" site & consider staying if you can get in at Chateau de Cavanac near Carcassonne Golf Club.Even if you can't stay there make sure you have lunch or dinner. The food, wine (from their own vineyard),ambience, service & value gets 10 out of 10 every time.
* Don't eat or stay inside the old cite - it is very busy & expensive.

Thanks everone for your replys, I have not decided if i will go to france yet and the world cup could be a problem but i will be going some time it sounds great.