Holiday in Brittany area - 26 weeks pregnant

emmt

Hi there

I've looked through old posts re holidays in Brittany area of France but most seem to deal with camping type holidays for families.

My situation is a little different. I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant (yay!!) and as it wasn't an easy achievement, am reluctant to get on a plane so these are our plans for a babymoon holiday...

- 2 adults, no children (yet)
- ferry Cork to Roscoff on Saturday 7th - 18th Sept taking our own car with us
- Drive somewhere nice in France that has a chance of fair weather
- Stay in a reasonably priced accommodation - small villa, cottage, farm type place and it would be nice if there was a pool for me to exercise in.

So basically what Im looking for is some recommendations for a nice village/town to go to, not too far out of Roscoff where there are maybe nice walks, a beach close by, maybe a winery or two for the hubby, and heading in the right direction for the weather. We'd be looking at maybe EUR750 a week MAX for accommodation, hopefully cheaper.

Any ideas out there? Even if we got an idea of a nice town to head for, there are loads of places to look online for accommodation in those areas.

Thanks in advance
Emmt

Hope this isnt too vague

It's short notice for booking a gîte, but late availability in September is a better bet than in August.

Brittany is good for beaches and walks; it's not a sunshine holiday destination, but it tends to be slightly warmer and a bit less rainy than Ireland; there are no wineries because the weather I have just summarised is not really good for growing grapes. Brittany is cider country.

I suggest that you consider south Brittany as there is a small advantage in weather prospects and it's a bit better for beaches. Depending on your specific target, the travel time from Roscoff would be 2 hours plus or minus 30 mins.

Try here for accommodation: http://www.gites-de-france-morbihan.com/. There is availability for your dates, but I did not dig down to try to judge the quality or location of any of the gites. The prices fall within your budget. If you do some quick preliminary research and want my opinion on one or two locations, I will check back here during the day and see if I can advise - but while I know Brittany moderately well, I don't know it all!

I'll be coming off the ferry at Roscoff when you are boarding to go home: I'll keep an eye out for a baby bump accompanied by a young couple.

We're not so young Padraigb - took us a while and a few miracles to get here!

Thanks a mill for the link - I'll check that out now. Yeah, we are thinking of heading south to get a bit of good weather. I'm a bit nervous of the driving with a right hand drive car on the right hand side of the road but hubby is not concerned so has no problem with a drive south of Roscoff. Hope there are no slow tractors on the road as I'll be doing the navigating!

I'm likely to see you as young, as I am retired! It's good that you have had your few miracles.

Driving in Brittany is very easy. The main roads are good, and not very crowded; the busier routes are dual carriageways. Your two principal duties will be (a) advising if the road ahead is clear for an overtaking manouevre; (b) reminding him at the commencement of each journey that he should drive on the right - it surprisingly easy to forget that until one becomes habituated.

And remind him of which way to go around the roundabouts until he is used to it. Mind you, there are so many, that he will be used to them in a few hours.

If you drive down to the southern coast of Brittany, which should take about 2.5 hours from Roscoff, the coast is beautiful. Rugged, Atlantic beaches and cliffs, lovely small towns and villages, fab food of course.

The weather is like here, but slightly warmer and drier. In September there is a lot of light rain. Here is the current long term forecast for Quimperle.

http://www.yr.no/place/France/Brittany/Quimperlé/long.html

Another hour south, and the weather is a bit warmer.

[broken link removed]

Mmmm - I'm liking the weather further south and for the sake of a few hours, might be worth it. It's just me that's thinking of staying close to Roscoff because of the driving - I'm a wimp!

BTW, just got this offer through which might be of interest to other potential ferry travellers!

Offer on Celtic Ferries to France