Holiday Home Owners

Must start with the claim that I do not have a holiday home anywhere. Yes I would love to have an escape in Killarney, Connemara, the sunny South East, Achill et al but I don’t. I don’t have access to anyone else's holiday home either.

However, I do find this present villification of holiday home owners a bit over the top. Yes, I know thew anecdotal evidence from Italy with regard to travelling from one area to another but universal condemnation from the likes of RTE/Pravda (who, lets face it, haven’t criticized any government since Bertie - allegedly - bitch slapped Cathal Goan on the phone during the Beverly Cooper Flynn caper) is not balanced. Furthermore comments such as these people “spitting on the nation” are also a bit weird.

IF the government was serious about removing travelling to holiday areas, would they not have ordered the shut down of hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses et al (enforceable by the gardai) in these areas? For desk research purposes yesterday, I looked at what accommodation was available in several popular areas (Killarney, Galway etc). There were stlll hotels, etc taking bookings. And HOSTELS offering dormitory beds. Social distancing wha??? Yet the holiday home owners were still the pariah of this tragedy.

Now far be it for me to suggest that the paid accommodation venues were a source of money for the government - taxes on stays, food, drink. The opportunity cost of not paying hotel employees social welfare. Contrast that to the holiday home. No immediate revenue for the government.

There’s something a bit “French Revolution” about targeting the holiday home crew. Maybe this taps into a latent begrudging gene. Surely politicians could not be talking out of both sides of their mouths simultaneously when “we’re all in this together”?

Reactions: mtk
Must start with the claim that I do not have a holiday home anywhere. Yes I would love to have an escape in Killarney, Connemara, the sunny South East, Achill et al but I don’t. I don’t have access to anyone else's holiday home either.

However, I do find this present villification of holiday home owners a bit over the top. Yes, I know thew anecdotal evidence from Italy with regard to travelling from one area to another but universal condemnation from the likes of RTE/Pravda (who, lets face it, haven’t criticized any government since Bertie - allegedly - bitch slapped Cathal Goan on the phone during the Beverly Cooper Flynn caper) is not balanced. Furthermore comments such as these people “spitting on the nation” are also a bit weird.

IF the government was serious about removing travelling to holiday areas, would they not have ordered the shut down of hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses et al (enforceable by the gardai) in these areas? For desk research purposes yesterday, I looked at what accommodation was available in several popular areas (Killarney, Galway etc). There were stlll hotels, etc taking bookings. And HOSTELS offering dormitory beds. Social distancing wha??? Yet the holiday home owners were still the pariah of this tragedy.

Now far be it for me to suggest that the paid accommodation venues were a source of money for the government - taxes on stays, food, drink. The opportunity cost of not paying hotel employees social welfare. Contrast that to the holiday home. No immediate revenue for the government.

There’s something a bit “French Revolution” about targeting the holiday home crew. Maybe this taps into a latent begrudging gene. Surely politicians could not be talking out of both sides of their mouths simultaneously when “we’re all in this together”?

As a former mobile home owner who was effectively shamed into leaving a mobile home park (our mobile being too old) some years ago (documented in a previous thread by me) I don't care why or for how long any mobile home owner is prevented from using his/her mobile home.

Na - na -na -nanaan - a!

As a former mobile home owner who was effectively shamed into leaving a mobile home park (our mobile being too old) some years ago (documented in a previous thread by me) I don't care why or for how long any mobile home owner is prevented from using his/her mobile home.

Na - na -na -nanaan - a!

Is that why you adopted the "nom-de-guerre" Leper?

Torches and pitchforks at the ready in Dunmore East fanned by the local community facebook page.
English and Dublin accents being closely monitored.
Total over reaction of course but nowt as strange as folk who feel threatened by outsiders - touch of the Wicker Man

Reactions: mtk
Is that why you adopted the "nom-de-guerre" Leper?

Hi Robert, Several posters here are inquiring how I came up with Leper. I'll cover that in my autobiography later.
But, having a mobile home in Co-Kerry, I learnt at least one thing i.e. the Limerick social climber is far worse than the Cork Social Climber. (I'll cover that in my autobiography too).

We're in an emergency situation like we've never seen. Covid-19 is an invisible mass killer. Most of the population has bought into ridding the country of it and I can see no reason why all Holiday Home Owners can't toe the line. I see no reason to support them. Those who are flouting our laws should be very ashamed of themselves. They are an embarrassment to the country.

Hi Robert, Several posters here are inquiring how I came up with Leper. I'll cover that in my autobiography later.
But, having a mobile home in Co-Kerry, I learnt at least one thing i.e. the Limerick social climber is far worse than the Cork Social Climber. (I'll cover that in my autobiography too).
True. People would be ashamed to be seen in Limerick city during the first two weeks in August in case someone might think they didnt have a caravan in Kilkee

True. People would be ashamed to be seen in Limerick city during the first two weeks in August in case someone might think they didnt have a caravan in Kilkee

Vanessa, V A N E S S A, I'm your new best friend.

Just heard from a relative who is resident in Donegal. A holiday home beside them has been occupied since yesterday evening. Owner is from Northern Ireland. And we are allowed to travel an extra 3km from next week. What a bloody joke !!!!!

Just heard from a relative who is resident in Donegal. A holiday home beside them has been occupied since yesterday evening. Owner is from Northern Ireland. And we are allowed to travel an extra 3km from next week. What a bloody joke !!!!!
I suggest the relative get a watering can and mix up a solution of one part bleach and four parts water and spray the road and path outside the holiday home in question, on the public road of course. Ensure this activity is visible from the holiday home and repeat regularly. Also, alert local shops not to serve them as is happening in other parts of the country.

I suggest the relative get a watering can and mix up a solution of one part bleach and four parts water and spray the road and path outside the holiday home in question, on the public road of course. Ensure this activity is visible from the holiday home and repeat regularly. Also, alert local shops not to serve them as is happening in other parts of the country.
Why would anyone do this?

I hope you are being sarcastic and pointing out how ridiculous the original post was

Back