Holiday Home Owners

Drakon

Seems like a lot of people from “the east”, where the worst of the Irish COVID-19 infection is at its worst, may be hitting holiday homes in Lahinch, Ballyconneely, etc., over the Easter Weekend.

Genuine fears of the infection spreading or just more COVID-19 hyperbole?

I don't see how it could be classed as an essential journey, maybe the guards could make an announcement that they'll be keeping an eye out for such trips as a deterrent.

In Italy there were similar concerns when lockdown was announced in northern Italy but before active, tens of thousands headed south to their holiday homes and possibly brought virus with them.

People would prefer to be isolating in a holiday home than an apartment, but when you factor in the risk of bank holiday traffic accidents it's not worth it...

I'd imagine the current restrictions will be extended and people will be discouraged from travelling.

The Garda twitter account had a report of a carload of 4 from Meath being stopped in Fermoy and saying they were 'out for a spin'.

if someone wanted to self isolate in their holiday home would they best get a sick note :rolleyes: to allow them to travel.

Would it not depend on where the holiday home is?

Though I suppose that most must be in busy tourist towns.

So would Lahinch be busier than Dublin or Cork for example?

And what if I had a holiday home in a remote location. Self isolation and physical distancing would be a lot easier.

Brendan

I see that they have announced that if people are in their holiday homes now, these should be considered their primary residence and they should remain there going forward

The editorialising of this by RTE was poor. They portrayed it as people who own holiday homes being selfish. And they had zero first-hand accounts, all anecdotal/speculative.

What about people not from but working in Dublin looking to go home for the 4 day weekend ?

What about the owners of holiday rentals keeping these properties available for rent ?

There's more than one reason for people looking to move beyond 2kms this weekend. And they should, where they can, stay put, but to lump them all together is not accurate.

spotted a mobile home travelling through my area today english reg
tourist guys lahinch ? or somewhere on news telling people not to go to their areas fat chance of that the locals need to get local council to lock gates or block entry points with large sandbags or a large truck to stop cars getting in parks etc ,as regards guards checkpoint on main roads grand but a lot know/use the back roads

Back