Holiday destinations with babies/Children

ccraig

Having just travelled on holidays with our young fella (9 months old) i was interested to see where others have travelled on holidays and what they thought.

My experience was that the heat in north of spain was unbearable in august for the nipper and with no shaded areas in the complex we stayed in he was largely stuck indoors until evening time which meant once of us were too.

Where would you recommend having stayed their yourself? Activities/facilities/ etc

Re: New thread: Holiday destinations with babies/Children

we've travelled since both our two girls were babies.. right from newborns,(15 and 9 now) stayed in majorca, lanzarote and torremolinos and we've always gone in july with no probs.. i think parts of spain though had a heat wave in august so maybe thats why it was too warm for the baby.. sunset beach club in torremolinos, jardin de mer in santa ponsa and cinco plaza in lanzarote been to all of these at least 3 or more times each and great for kids.

Been travelling since they were babies, beginning at 4 months and every age since. Lanzarote, spain, crete, italy, the vendee in france, south of france. Never had a problem thank god. I was always totally organised and very prepared for every eventuality. Find travelling with the kids now a walk in the park. Once you have done holidays with a double buggy, two in nappies, pregnant etc, then going on holidays with them when they no longer need all that and my baby days are well and truly behind me, well it really is very easy to do. I didnt find any of the places we were particularly easier than the others, or harder. Travelling with kids to the sun is hard, no two ways about it. I liked Italy with them when they were v small, easy to feed. Pasta, a basic staple in their diet, fruit and bread in plenty supply. I think most places are ok if you plan well in advance.

am travelling to costa del sol in two weeks with 9 month old. looking for all advice. my biggest concern is food. our wee lady is a great eater and is on stage two weaning, eating puree dinners and fruit all freshly prepared. am slightly worried will not get the nournishment she needs. is only eating baby pasta and have not put and coniments in her food unlike resturants who i know would.

great idea for a thread

It is very easy to get children used to travelling at a young age. Try a few long haul trips to safer destinations (they fly for next to nothing).

hey all can any one tell of a good place to travel to in italy or france with an 9,7 and 3 yr old thanks

Rose all of the larger supermarkets in the Costa Del Sol stock Nestle & Hipp Organix baby food pots from stage 1 - 3 weaning. You can also get pureed fruit pots and plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. They seem to puree up to 12 months in Spain. Bring your own babymilk powder supplies as the powder can vary from country to country although you can get Aptamil in the supermarkets as well if you are stuck.

If you run the search option in this forum using the search criteria 'holidays for kids' you should find a few previous relevant threads.

hey rosemartin
thanks, i was keen to get feedback.

On food, try eroski, you'll get nestle cereals which are very popular and also mixed fruits etc.

Watch the heat, will need to keep baby out of heat between 12 and 3 and give lots of water.

where in costa del sol are you planning on going?

going to benalmadena, been there before, good walks for buggy pushing

Bring one of those hand blenders if you can, or pick one up in the supermarket over there. Buy and blend food over there if you want to keep her on a fairly similar diet to home. The main thing tbh would be to make sure he takes plenty of fluids, keep him well hydrated. Dont be surprised if his appetite is not the same as home, its pretty normal for the heat to cause them to eat less and drink more. And regarding not getting the nourishment he needs, its only two weeks, he wont get undernourished if he doesnt eat as well as he does at home. You have to be prepared for things to be different away than home otherwise you are in for a headwrecker of a holiday. And they dont necessarily put condiments in the food, you can ask them not to if you are getting food especially for the baby. If you are thinking of giving him some from your plate, well the amount he would ingest would be minimal. If you are very concerned, then keep it simple and make sure baba is not hungry at the restaurant.

Make sure that your accommodation has Air Con and that it will be turned on when you are there (sometimes, apartment blocks/hotels switch off AC during the off season). Leasve it switched on before kid(s) go to bed and knock it off when they are asleep.

My wife always brought extra food for our babies (Liga and even crisps eventhough they rarely get crisps at home)

Menorca (nicknamed 'buggy island' is pretty good for little ones. Most restaurants had some kind of play area for kids, ranging from an old wendy house to a full-blown play centre with swings/climbing frames/ball park etc. We found one great restaurant with a full play-centre beside, so we could offer the play session as a reward for being good during dinner, and we could relax over dessert/coffee/drink while keeping an eye on them at play. Ciutadella and Mahon were nice for the adults too.

The costa brava is fantastic for holidays with kids - the spanish love them. We frequently booked last minute holidays on expedia and ended up in 4 star hotels with half board for next to nothing. We avoided July and August - September is a great time to go. Calella de Palafrugell is beautiful and relaxing, they have an excellent camp site called La Siesta, otherwise for a more upmarket stay, you can try the hotel St Roc - you could also try Giverola which has its own private beach, tennis courts, kids club, beach-side restaurant etc.
I hope this helps!

Back