holiday abroad air plane restrictions

janedoe06

hi there
i know im worrying but guess its due to a friend having his Checked bag going missing at airport and it took 2 days to surface

I Had a stomach operation in 05 and have prostetics if anyone is familiar with ileostomy bags then u'll know

obviously i'd like to be able to carry all the stuff on the plane in case it leaks etc . so i understand they dont like sissors on the plane so i can precut the bags, but

can one carry a normal bag on the plane with this stuff inside
I dont really want to be carrying a see through bag , so everyone knows or is curious trying to figure out what the things are

planning to go to eastern europe later this year maybe budapest

i understand that liquids etc have to be in those 100 m and sealed but that is'nt always the case with my sprays they are'nt sealed as such .

I know i can have a letter from my doc , but prob not that good when u are coming thru a foreign airport and customs is questioning in a diff language

i could'nt afford to put everything into the checked bag in case it went missing i'd really be in a bad position after a few days

Am i just worrying too much

Hi, sorry to hear you haven't been well. Unfortunately, while it's going to be a little bit of hassle now, preparation is your only fellah, to save on what could be major hassle later on that could ruin your holiday.

The first thing will be to go to your doctor and get a letter stating what you need to travel with on your person. I had to do this myself last year. Whilst you do see people with their clear bags ready, I had too much stuff and the lady on the Aer Lingus check in desk told me I was ok leaving it in my shoulder bag. It's not like it's not going to get scanned cos they are taking no chances. I think the idea of the clear plastic bags is to speed things along and make people more conscious of what they are carrying on their person that might be banned, but in reality it doesn't cos EVERYTHING is checked.

The next thing is more hassle, I know, but when you have booked your trip, write/e-mail the company you are flying with and tell them your predicament. I'm sure they will be more than obliging to help you in any way they can and make sure that you are well looked after on board. I have a cousin that has to travel with medical paraphernalia 24/7 & he heads off twice a year & gets treated like a VIP.

I know you are concerned about the country you are travelling to, so it might be worth your while getting your doctors letter translated into the language of the country you are travelling to just to make things easier. For instance, if you travel to UAE with any painkillers that contain codeine, you will be arrested for importing an illegal drug. Therefore, while this is the extreme, last year I had to have my doctors letter translated into Arabic and get both the English version & Arabic version stamped by the UAE Embassy before I could travel.

So just do a little bit of planning now and you will be able to relax come the time.

Back