"hole in the wall" type fireplaces

Roundy#

Had an after thought for putting in a "hole in the wall" type fireplace into our new build. Problem is, the area isn't the largest - 600mm wide, 350mm deep and 800mm high as an opening. It's raised up a block in height off the floor level.

I'm trying to find a very simple fireplace to suit ie. just a hole in the wall look. The fire in question would be for wood/coal. Gas is not an option.

Can anyone point me in the right direction???
Thanks

I think what you're describing is called an "inset" or "insert" stove. We've just had a Nestor Martin multifuel (burns logs and coal)one fitted and it's brilliant but wouldn't fit in your gap. The main problem is going to be the depth of your "hole" which seems very shallow.

Anyway, you could check out the Nestor Martin website 'cos they do other sizes; Stovax do some as well, and Stovesireland do a small woodpellet insert. Also Hearth and Home in Liffey Valley. We rang and then want round every stove shop in the southeast (and that didn't take long) until we found what we wanted. Mostly they were very helpful.

Thanks mct1, not really what I was on about - more of a bare open fire, no stove....but yes you are right my opening is very shallow alright. The fireplace was done in blocks for a conventional fireplace fit, the open fire in a hole idea is an after thought.

My opening is too small for fire bricks or the like, but could I install a standard type fireback and have it open with just some kind of cast iron frame??

do you want it to be a working fire? My sister has what you are talking about I think, a rectangle cut into the wall with a back on it. She decided not to get a grate for it as its simplicity alone makes it look lovely, she has some candles in there. It is not a working fireplace. Her builder cut it out and plastered it. If this is not what you are talking about, apologies.

Yes something similar to what you describe......except that I want to have a working fire in it!! Thanks

I know you said it already, but why no gas...? It's just that there's a much bigger choice of 'designer' fireplaces in gas....

Yep, there's way more options out there for a gas fire in this style - it's not an option for me though........anyway I prefer all the hardship of cleaning up after a normal open fire!!

I created a hole in the wall fireplace, which I use to burn solid fuel. Due to regulations you must create a base at the front of your fireplace - to protect your flooring from spits of fuel and to prevent house fires. There are certain regulations for this, and the base has to extend out 16inches. This i tiled with slate rather than going with the graveyard marble. You also need a trim to go arounf the opening of the fireplace and must have your fireplace back installed. The effect is not as good as the hole in the wall, although with solid fuel buring you are glad of the regulations.

If you have an gas 'hole in the wall' fireplace, would those regulations apply? I like the idea of an open gas fire with log effect or stone effect. It would be more for show then to heat the room though.

I have one with a 15" opening - burned solid fuel in the grate for years and very successful - you must conform to the regulations regarding surround etc. Eventually got fed up cleaning it out and had gas coal effect installed in the fireplace.