Hole in the ceiling......

ribena

I had chorus in on Saturday and the lad went up in to my attic and came down through the ceiling (only his leg mind you but it left a sizable hole). He told me that they'd cut away the square section around the hole and re-plaster etc. When I mentioned this to a few people they said that I'm going to be left with lines in the ceiling where they've replaced this. Also someone told me that a square section isn't enough, that I need to get a whole slab replaced. It's all a bit beyond me but does anyone have any advice before I ring chorus, as needless to say they haven't been on to me yet. I'd like to get the job done before the Bank Holiday weekend if possible.

For a proper job to be done the whole slab should be replaced just cutting a square out is a quick patch job.
If they are willing to have the damage repaired then make sure it's repaired properly.

Good Luck ;)

the ceiling needs to be cut back to the middle of the nearest joist, and a new slab of plasterboard inserted and thrn taped and skimmed with plaster, and painted and then the whole ceiling painted to hide the new patch, |not a huge job, and unless done very well you are likely to see the patch in sunlight or such.

as for getting it done by next weekend, hmmm i doubt it.

There will prob have to be insurance , loss assessor form chorus.

This is presuming it was a plasterboard ceiling say less than 25 yeras old. if older ceiling a whole lot more trouble.

Thanks for that. I want to know what I'm talking about when I ring these guys. The house is 17 years old and the hole is just as you go in to the kitchen which gets loads of sunlight. I don't mind a little mark but I don't want a really obvious one. Should I get someone to look at it myself or just leave it to chorus?? It sounds stupid but I just don't want any little vistors that may be lurking up above dropping in for a visit!!:p

ribena said:
Thanks for that. I want to know what I'm talking about when I ring these guys. The house is 17 years old and the hole is just as you go in to the kitchen which gets loads of sunlight. I don't mind a little mark but I don't want a really obvious one. Should I get someone to look at it myself or just leave it to chorus?? It sounds stupid but I just don't want any little vistors that may be lurking up above dropping in for a visit!!:p

You can start by telling them you want a fully qualified plasterer to do the job at least that way you can be sure that it will be done right and he will at least try to ensure that you cannot see where the repair was done.

Good Luck ;)

I phoned Chorus and can you believe it, it hasn't even been logged in Head Office yet! :eek: I definitely won't be getting it fixed for the weekend at this rate. Thanks for all the advice.:cool:

Put it in writing, send them a fax and keep the fax transmission slip- or send it by registered post. Send your own quote from a reputable and qualified plasterer. You will want to have Chorus to pay for your tradesman to do it and to compensate you for the nuisance. They are a telecommunications company, not builders, so I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for them to repair it- give them a definite time length to inspect or send their assessor to inspect and at the end of that time tell them you will go ahead and get it done yourself and look for them to repay you- plus compensation for the nuisance.

This happened to a tenant in a house that I am renting, almost identical situation, the cost to have a section replaced and re plastered (stippled to match the rest of the ceiling) is €250 but there would be extra to paint it all, obviously you can't spot paint a section of a ceiling, this shouldn't be a big job for the TV company, and I doubt it is the first time it has happened, they should have someone on the payroll for this type of thing

just of the point a bit, but what about the safety of the lad in the attic, the risk assessment for such work would identify this type of incident( as would many comedy writers). Not unheard of of this happening and whole ceiling coming down with body in tow.

Ths is an " incident" and Chours H&S department whould be on to it as well.

I was thinking of him falling off the roof alright while he was up there! I don't think its right that one person comes on their own to do a job like that. I had chorus last year at another house and there was two of them. They should be used to going up in to attics anyway and should know not to stand on anything other than the rafters. I had 2 electricians only 2 weeks ago doing loads of jobs in the attic & neither of them had a problem. I still haven't heard any word back from chorus. I think I'll fax them alright & I'm going to get in touch with a plasterer to come and assess the job for me. Thanks everyone...I'm a bit green when it comes to these things.

Back