Holder of 2 Credit Cards - Stamp Duty problems

D

Denis

I have an MBNA Gold credit card and a Tesco credit card. I'm in the process of closing my Tesco credit card, but they have said that I have to pay the €40 before they can close the account. I have paid the €40 stamp duty on my MBNA Gold credit card. Should I have to pay another €40 stamp duty on my Tesco credit card? My understanding was that one only pays a single €40 stamp duty regardless on the number of credit cards one has.

No-you should only have to pay once. Ask Tesco for a letter stating the stamp duty was charged on closure and give this to MBNA.

I have already paid my €40 to MBNA for this year. Does this mean that I pay Tesco the €40, they close the account, and give me the letter of closure. I then go back to MBNA with my letter of closure from Tesco(Proof that I've paid this year's €40 stamp duty already) and tell MBNA to refund me the €40 I paid to them?

My understanding was that one only pays a single €40 stamp duty regardless on the number of credit cards one has.

You pay €40 per credit card account.
If you were operating both the tesco & mbna accounts at the same time, then you have to pay €80 for the year.
If you have just opened the mbna account to replace the tesco one, then you pay tesco now, they give you a letter of closure, and you don't have to pay mbna at the end of the year.

You pay €40 per credit card account.
If you were operating both the tesco & mbna accounts at the same time, then you have to pay €80 for the year.
If you have just opened the mbna account to replace the tesco one, then you pay tesco now, they give you a letter of closure, and you don't have to pay mbna at the end of the year.

That's it exactly.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I'll have to reluctantly pay Tesco the €40 and close the account. I probably shouldn't have two credit credit cards anyway.

I had a similar problem with a UK CC provider (operating in Ireland even though their support staff seem to beatl my square-peg problems into their UK oriented round holes). I closed it- or so I thought- and then applied for MBNA. There was a debit balance when I asked them to close it and I was told I would get a cheque, and the stamp duty would be charged but that I would get a letter which would exempt me from paying MBNA at the end of the year, because the two were not open concurrently. But 2 months later I was still getting statements showing my + balance by which time my MBNA a/c was up and running. When I rang them about it, I was told there was some delay in getting it refunded and they would see to it straight away. Then they repaid me the full amount without deducting the stamp duty... I am expecting a letter at the end of the year telling me I owe them. To which I think the correct response is for me to send them an MBNA letter stating that I have already paid for 2006. It's not my fault that the a/c wasnt closed when they told me it was.

I opened a second credit card a/c in february with Ulster bank which I now wish to close. Although I have already paid stamp duty on this account in April they state when I first used the card I have to pay another €40. Just wonderin if this is correct.

I opened a second credit card a/c in february with Ulster bank which I now wish to close. Although I have already paid stamp duty on this account in April they state when I first used the card I have to pay another €40. Just wonderin if this is correct.

Yes, it is correct.

Back