Hodson Bay or Radisson in Athlone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefly

Heading to Athlone with Mrs F and +1. Can anyone recommend which is better?

Heading to Athlone with Mrs F and +1. Can anyone recommend which is better?

I stayed in the Hodson Bay a few weeks ago and loved it. Rooms, restaurant and spa were all gorgeous. However, if you are planning on going out in Athlone then I would say the Radisson is a better option as the hotel is right in the centre of Athlone whereas the Hodson Bay is about 6 miles or so outside.

Hodson Bay definitely, pay the taxi fare to get into town of you need to.

I have a pet hate with Radisson hotels though, their pillows are awful. This has been my experience in Athlone and Stansted, Galway for some reason was fine.

This might sound like nit picking but on the television in the Radission Athlone is an LCD clock, really bright and impossible to turn off. Myself and the wife spent ages trying but could not unplug it. It dazzled the room, in the end we had to balance the Bible up against it.

Jeez I sound like a moany effer but usually I'm not, I suppose you remember a really really restless nights sleep

Both have great qualities.

Both have car parks, a bar, resturant. The Radisson has a lovely terrace to sit out on on a nice day, and is in the centre of town.

Hudson Bay can be very hit and miss with the rooms that you get. If you are in the new part - perfect, you will be happy. If you get shoved into the old rooms, you will feel like you've been transported back into your Grannys era. Its very bad.

I would enquire if you could get a new room if booking there. Its gorgeous beside the lake, the Raddisson sits across from some houses and beside the river.

MrsK and I stayed in the Athlone Springs at Monksland and were more than happy with our stay. Good sized, well furnished room, good food (the bar food which is exactly the same menu as the restaurant is significantly cheaper) and a first class spa.
It's located on the West edge of Athlone town, just off the main Dublin to Galway road.

Tel. no. 0906444444

Highly recommended.

i think there is a new Sheraton in Athlone ? havent stayed there but its another option.

Have stayed in Sheraton - excellent - beautiful rooms, fab food and excellent service. Highly recommended. In the middle of the town - nice leisure centre and spa too.

Status
Not open for further replies.