Hitting Obstacles In the Road - Can I Claim?

bijou

Hi all, just a quick query. I was driving home last night and hit a wheel that some kind soul left/lost/dropped in the road. I was doing about 35-40 mph and actually drove over the thing. Both the front and rear wheels of my car actually lifted off the ground. Very scary. Anyway the car drives with a "wobble" (pardon the technical description) and the power steering is playing up.
My question is that as no other vehicle was involved, does anyone know if I can claim on my insurance? I'm fully comp by the way.
Thanks
Bijou

Re: Hitting Obsticles In the Road - Can I Claim?

You can claim for own damage but your bonus will be affected.

Re: Hitting Obsticles In the Road - Can I Claim?

Hi all, just a quick query. I was driving home last night and hit a wheel that some kind soul left/lost/dropped in the road. I was doing about 35-40 mph and actually drove over the thing. Both the front and rear wheels of my car actually lifted off the ground. Very scary. Anyway the car drives with a "wobble" (pardon the technical description) and the power steering is playing up.
My question is that as no other vehicle was involved, does anyone know if I can claim on my insurance? I'm fully comp by the way.
Thanks
Bijou

You can claim but most other insurer's won't quote you for 3 to 5 years. Within that time your existing insurer will increase your premiums to potentially the same amount as the claim value. I think you're better off just to pay it yourself and so be able shop around at every renewal.

The wobble sounds like damage to a wishbone.

FrCrilly, think you should lay off on the advice. The OP may have a protected no-claims bonus which means it wouldnt affect the price at all!
Why wouldnt other insurers quote for 3 or 5 years???!! Its just a claim, didnt kill anybody!

he may have 'protected no-claims bonus' that other insurance companies are under no obligation to recognise, so as FrCrilly states, he MIGHT be stuck with his current insured.

In the past (5 years ago) I availed of my policies windscreen cover (someone broke a side window). When I mentioned this when seeking my next insurance, a couple of insurers refused to quote me as they classed this as a claim.

Have to say im highly suprised by that. No mainstream insurer these days will penalise for windscreen claims, not even the niche insurers. And i see it every day.

Re the protected no-claims bonus if the OP got a quote including protected bonus (assuming he had it before) from another insurer he wouldnt get penalised as it shouldnt constitute a claim that would affect his protected no claims bonus

Back