Hit by uninsured driver

L

lauren1983

I hope there is someone out there who can help me.

I was hit by an uninsured driver.

I was told by thde MIB that i need to claim through my fully comp insurance to get my car fixed.
I began this process and was told my new premiun was over £3000 and i had lost my no claims because i was making a claim.

I couldnt afford the premium so had to withdraw my claim.

I have since had to pay £125 to make the car road worthy to get through the MOT. But i still have to pay £1700 to get the repairs done properly which i cannot afford. It is a limited edition so i want to get it done properly.

I have no idea how i can solve this problem.

I hope someone can give me abit of advice

Thank you

Lauren

Hi Lauren, sorry to hear about your accident. Just to point out that AAM is an Irish financial discussion forum, so many of the readers/contributors may (or may not!) be less knowledgeable about the ins and outs of such a scenario in a UK context, rather than an Irish one. Or are you talking about an accident that occurred in Ireland?

Here, insurance companies (or rather, their law-abiding policyholders!) contribute to a 'pool' for meeting awards/damages caused by uninsured drivers — the process is managed by the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland. See their [broken link removed]s for further details.

Hi Lauren

Assuming you are talking about an accident in Ireland, the first part of the MIB FAQ covers your question. If the driver was not traceable, then you cannot claim for damage to your vehicle. If you know the driver, then you have to pay the first €440 or €220. You should be able to claim against your own insurance company without affecting your no claims bonus.

Brendan

Back