Hip Displacia in White German Shepherd

joanmul

My son has a young (1yr3mths) White German Shepherd dog. He gets a sore hip from time to time that the Vet has identified as hip displacia. It happens in any hip and not the same one. I was wondering if any one has a lot of experience of these dogs and knows how to minimise these bouts. Apparently these dogs are prone to this condition. He is given frequent short walks on the lead, as he runs around like mad if he's off the lead. We give him Seven Seas cod liver oil in his food. The vet says he can live with it if it doesn't get worse than mild.

We have the same problem with our 4 year old Samoyed. Presently he is taking a joint supplement called Cosequin DS 120 twice a day, cant say if it will be any good because he only started on them last week but might be worth asking your vet.

I am also going to bring him for hydrotherapy in UCD which I heard is very good. It costs 30 EURO per session. Our dog wants to walk his usual 2 miles per day but is very sore afterwards and if we cut out the walk he gets very depressed.

This is one of a number of symptoms of in-breeding with german shepherds, and is not known in properly bred dogs (sorry I don't know how to describe non-inbred dogs)..

The IKC have asked to be informed (if the dog is registered) so as to avoid breeding from / with dogs with these symptoms. The breed has been brought close to ruin (big healthy, friendly, intelligent dogs at their best) by some unscrupulous breeders in recent generations.

This precise topic featured on a radio programme in the last few months, but I cannot remember which one. For some unknown reason I think it was Mooney Goes Wild (RTE1) but I rarely hear that show and german shepherds aren't wild. I remember there wa an IKC rep, a vet and a breeder from either Germany or Austria interviewed.

The dog is neutered so no worries on that score. I take your point on the breeding but I don't think he was bought from an unscrupulous breeder.

The programme on the radio I didn't hear but I was told about the content. If it was the same programme it was Cavalier King Charles they were talking about but, I agree, the principle applies to all breeds.

Thanks, Flahers2, for your info. It's sad that your Samoyed is 4 years old and still has problems, but it's better that my son knows that sooner rather than later.

We give him Seven Seas cod liver oil in his food.

Hi Joan,

Not sure if you refer to the cod liver oil because this problem is in some way related to arthritis. I heard a dog breeder and owner recently discussing their labradors and how they both suffered badly from arthritis. They had both found a big improvement in their dogs mobility when they gave them [broken link removed]

I've seen it in Boots.