High pitched whistling/squealing from Almera

Caveat

Not sure about this one. It's not very loud, but definitely noticeable. Doesn't sound like brakes - in fact it goes away when the brakes are applied. Seems to be slightly worse over poor surfaces and slightly worse as the accelerator is depressed. Not generally audible below approx. 25 mph.

Any ideas - suspension related?

might it be something to do with the air intake?

i had a high pitched sound coming from my Isuzu trooper. Finally found the culprit to be a slightly disconnected hose on the turbo.

Power-steering pump belt worn or low fluid in the power-steering pump reservoir - its a well-known problem.

Power-steering pump belt worn or low fluid in the power-steering pump reservoir - its a well-known problem.

Thanks all.

mathepac - do you mean well known with Almeras or generally?

Any idea of fix cost (independent) ?

Also, is it safe to drive say for a few weeks? (noise started yesterday as far as I am aware - but then again, I do have a tendency to blare music in the car)

... mathepac - do you mean well known with Almeras or generally?...
Almeras seem to get through power-steering fluid pretty quickly, as compared to other cars, although the pump itself is generic AFAIK (Denso / Bosch / Borg-Warner ?). I can only conclude that the plumbing might be problematic. Topping up the fluid is usually enough to cure the problem, then keep an eye on it.

There are of course other possibilities - alternator brushes / bearings, water-pump, worn belt tensioners, belts, etc.

Just to add, this noise doesn't seem to happen until the engine is at full operating temperature.

Don't know if that has any relevance or if it rules anything in or out?

Have you checked the fluid level?

No, haven't looked at anything yet and will not be able to until tomorrow morning. When you say fluid level do you mean any/all fluids or were you thinking of something in particular?

As it happens, this sound didn't occur this morning until the last couple of minutes of my approx. 20 mile commute.

Thanks again mathepac.

Update:

For anyone who is interested, not a big problem in the end: caliper was rubbing very slightly against something due to almost perished O-ring I think he said - anyway, problem gone now.