High mpg diesel SUV or crossover, versus Passat/Avensis

pingpong

The new Passat 1.6 & Toyota Avensis 2L diesel both come in around the same money and I'm favouring the VW as that's what I currently drive. I drive 54m per day so mpg is important. Any recommendations or advice?

I'd love a SUV or crossover but does anyone know of a high mpg model ie 50 plus?

Skoda Octavia/Suberb 1.6 CR Diesel greenline. Basically all VW engineering and a wee bit cheaper to buy.

The new Passat 1.6 & Toyota Avensis 2L diesel

No offense but they are two seriously boring cars to drive.
Have you looked at the Mazda 6 or the Mondeo 2.0L TDCI?
I haven’t driven the diesel Mazda 6 and they do have a history of problems with their diesel engines but the petrol one is a great drivers car.
The 2.0L diesel Mondeo is, in my opinion, nearly as good as a 2.0D BMW 5-series to drive. It is very big, very reliable and gives around 50MPG (urban/rural mix).

If I was in the market for a Passat or an Avensis I’d buy a Mondeo.

Ah Purple

You are being a little unkind to the Passat calling it boring. The new model (if you can call it that) is getting good reviews and coupled with the fact that all VW Diesel engines now qualify for €104 road tax makes them that bit more appealing. I agree 100% about the Avensis though.

Ok. lets go eastern block again
What about the skoda superb wagon, 2 litre tdi
Lovely motor.

It's a bit smaller than the two the OP is looking at.
The 520D second hand would be good but BMW's are expensive to service.

Agreed it's a bit smaller, but the 3 series is safer than the 5 series if the www.euroncap.com ratings are accurate. The 5 series is a fab car though and defo my next. I've driven 3 series cars from 2002 to present and haven't found servicing too bad at all as I go to an independent BMW mechanic....a main dealer would be a different story!

I also like the look of the new A4 and that could also be considered.

Subaru Legacy 2.0d should also be considered. Its got 4wd and has a decent reliability.
Premium branded motors IMO are struggling to justify the price tag in the 2.0d saloon segment.
The offerings from Ford and Opel are just as good for refinement with a higher spec for the money. The new Ford 2.0d engine pushes out 163bhp which is on a par with BMW's unit.