High Court expenses

mail

Hi, I was subpobnaed to appear as a witnesss in the High Court. I am self employed with one employee. He travells to work with me and I cant leave him to do any work without me being there. What is the position on who pays him for the week that I have to go to court. I think it would be unfair if I have to tell him to stay at home just because someone wants to build a case against someone else. Should I put this on my expenses. I would appreciate a prompt reply before I have to appear, thanks.

Put in a claim for the whole set of expenses. You cannot easily bargain this beforehand with the party that has called you because you must answer the subpoena or face your own legal trouble!
Speak to the party calling you and explain your difficulty. If you are not crucial they might not want you especially if you seem like a "reluctant" witness.
If you are vital to them they should try to keep you on side by trying to meet your difficulties.

If they win the case the opposition will be liable for expenses anyway. Directdevil has the correct advice and certainly don't ignore the subpoena

Back