Hibernian moving to India - is it time we acted?

We did this in the 80's, guaranteed Irish and that sort of thing. I won't be doing it again.

Why on earth not?

Speaking for myself I have always had Irish people working in my house.

I'm not racist.
I just believe in supporting those who live near us.
Be it a case of buying Irish goods in local shops or making the choice between buying Lamb from New Zealand or a local farmer.

It might cost me more to do but it a price worth paying.

When we made a concious effort to buy Irish during the 80s we felt it was for the good of the country (I know it sounds cringe !), to help ourselves get back on our feet. How were we rewarded? Rip off Ireland. Food prices 30% higher than the [broken link removed] etc. There are loads more examples but you get the drift.

Maybe that's simplistic but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand where you are coming from and have already sent an email to Hibernian stating this,other comapnies will be watching this like a hawk especially insurance companies in competition with Hibernian, and the service will go to pot just think of Dell.
No thanks

It was a general point about out cost base as a country and why companies outsource. Do remember that jobs are being lost to the UK, Holland, the USA and other Western countries as well as "new" low cost economies.
Surely it is more directly important that insurance staff (and other people who's jobs are being outsourced) cut their salaries first, rather than looking for the indirect impact that would result from cutting the salaries of public service staff?

Surely it is more directly important that insurance staff (and other people who's jobs are being outsourced) cut their salaries first, rather than looking for the indirect impact that would result from cutting the salaries of public service staff?

What is a realistic across the board salary cut? 10%. Maybe the savings by moving abroad are greater.

Private sector income gets lowered in real terms by basic supply and demand. Public sector pay does not. I agree with you point but I am sure you see the knock-on effect of having public sector pay increase as a proportion of overall tax take and GNP.

The Hibernian situation proves the ineffectiveness of the 'basic supply and demand' theory. Hibernian workers didn't lower their wages. They lost their jobs to India. I wonder how long it will take before Irish banks start advertising 'call centres in Ireland' as a product benefit, as has happened in the UK.

I don't disagree that public sector salaries have an indirect knock-on effect on the overall economy, but to suggest that the solution to the Hibernian situation lies in public sector salaries is at best misguided, and at worst a flawed attempt to spin the IBEC/PD agenda yet again. If you believe that wage levels are the cause of the problem, then the place to start is with the wages of the staff involved.

For the record, I don't believe that the solution to this situation lies in wage cuts by public or private sectors. This is of course the 'race to the bottom' that the IBEC men (note the lack of gender balance) have wet dreams over. It would be helpful for those who believe the solution to our economic woes lie in wage cuts to lead by example. When do you think that will start happening?

It would be helpful for those who believe the solution to our economic woes lie in wage cuts to lead by example. When do you think that will start happening?
I believe slashing public sector jobs and wages would be an excellent start to recovery. The country just can't afford these huge pay packets. What we'll probably end up with is a hike in income tax.

(I haven't had a wage increase in years, so with inflation that's equivalent to a wage cut. However, I work in the private sector.)

This is of course the 'race to the bottom' that the IBEC men (note the lack of gender balance) have wet dreams over.
If I go to Dunnes stores instead of Tesco's because the bread is cheaper there, I guess I am running my own race to the bottom? Does that make me a "bad" person?

We were happy with the race to the bottom when we were at the bottom.

It''s interesting that people give out about jobs being outsourced to India but no one complained when an international multi national outsources jobs to Ireland, as often happened in the past when these companies closed sites elsewhere and moved the job to Ireland as we were cheaper.

However times have changes and the reality is that Ireland has become an extremly expensive country for multi nationals to do business in(and remember, Hibernian are not Irish, they are part of an UK domiciled multi national financial services group called Aviva). Therfore I believe we will see far more of this until we get the cost of doing business in Ireland under control

The downside of this is obviously for the staff. Hibernian are claiming that there will be largely no redundancies as this will be done via natural wastage. However should we be concerned about any company that expects in the normal course of business to loose 25% of it's workforce over 3 years. That sounds to me like Hibernian are a poor company to work for in the first place if staff are not staying.
Chances are in 3 years time there will be some redundancies as staff who may otherwise have left will hold on for a cheque
As for customer service, I agree with other posters regarding Indian call centres, I have to use them for work and whilst the people are incredibly nice and polite, they are completely process driven and are unable to/not allowed to use iniaitive and think outside the box to resolve an issue. Therefore if I were a customer with a query/issue that is out of the norm, I would wonder about their ability to deal with that. There is also the transition period in which Hibernian will have a very demotivated staff

I fear this will be the first of many such announcements, if not India, then Eastern Europe or China. Like it or not we are not competitive any more

Re: Hibernian moving to India - is it time we acted?

How would us all becoming actors stop an insurance company moving to India?

Then again, I'm sure some of the union officials will stage a pantomine before this issue goes away

The Hibernian situation proves the ineffectiveness of the 'basic supply and demand' theory.
I was thought the following in school (it was a few years ago so maybe they've changed it since):
Supply is the amount of product that a producer is willing and able to sell at a specified price, while demand is the amount of product that a buyer is willing and able to buy at a specified price.
What bit do you find ineffective?

So what is your solution.???????????????

I can't argue that many high level people in both the private and public sector are probably overpaid, at least in the private sector there is often(and I accept, not always) an element of pay for performance. That does not exist in anything other then in name in the public sector.

However public sector employees never seem to factor into their salary the fact that it is close to impossible for many of them to be sacked, no matter how incompetent they are.

Very good point. A few years back, in the '80's, I was involved in transferring some IT projects from Canada to Ireland for a major US multi-national corp. I had to visit the plant in Canada to get some training prior to the move. The people that I worked with over there were the ones who would 'lose out' by some of their work moving to Ireland. They were not too happy about my presence and I could sense some hostility.

No-one in Ireland had any complaints, though.

I agree. I've made that point here a number of times.

The ineffective bit is the bit that leaves the Hibernian staff unable to pay their mortgages. Economic theory is fascinating, but the real world is a bit different.

Don't make me laugh with pay for performance in the private sector? How much was Jim Flavin paid for costing DCC in the region of €80m? Even when senior execs are 'fired', this is generally a negotiated settlement (at the cost of the business of course). How is pay for performance applying to the CEO of BOI whose shareholder value has halved in the past year?

No-one in Ireland had any complaints, though.

Our economy is inefficent, bloated and pricey.

A nieghbour of mine wanted to connect his house to the water supply outside his house. He was asked for 15k by the Local Authority. He just dug a well.

The lack of Irish competiveness has to be sorted. The days of people spending vast amounts of money on crap houses and getting cheap credit are gone.

The ineffective bit is the bit that leaves the Hibernian staff unable to pay their mortgages. Economic theory is fascinating, but the real world is a bit different.
I get what you are saying but it's the result you don't like, not the theory.
How do you feel about the tens of thousands of people who lost their jobs in other countries when their employer relocated here in the 90's?
Were you against that race to the bottom (when we were at the bottom)?

Do you think that Jim Flavin and the CEO of Bank of Ireland are typical of every private sector earner?