Hertz used cars - ad on RTE

deanpark

Has any one used Hertz Ireland site to buy one of their used hire cars. Any views?

Any scope for haggling on the prices listed on the site? Are their prices any good?

Is the typical 80,000 kms on a 2018 car a red flag to avoid or is it ok given the price and the care the car received from Hertz between hires?

I'm not sure that all the cars are ex rental, but I've never dealt with them.

Hertz Ireland also have a fleet leasing business. They tend to keep their hire cars for a very short time to avoid any issues with maintenance or breakdown when out on hire. It's not uncommon for hire companies to only keep cars for a single season, selling the majority of cars at about 9 months before the first service is due.

The older cars are more likely ex-lease, or sourced elsewhere.
Remember, Hertz Ireland is part of the Boland group, so they've plenty of supply of used cars.

Has any one used Hertz Ireland site to buy one of their used hire cars

I enquired about a few cars that they had on offer - same models, just different years. Got a phone call back within a few hours, going through additional information, price range / models / location / etc etc. They took additional information from me and I was told that someone would be in contact with me again over the coming day or two... needless to say, I am still waiting for that call...

Has any one used Hertz Ireland site to buy one of their used hire cars. Any views?

Any scope for haggling on the prices listed on the site? Are their prices any good?

Is the typical 80,000 kms on a 2018 car a red flag to avoid or is it ok given the price and the care the car received from Hertz between hires?

I would keep well away from ex-rental and ex-sales fleet. That's 80k km of driving by probably hundreds of drivers. Also, I'd be fairly sceptical of the level/quality of maintenance for rental cars before they are flogged on after a year or two of hard driving.

The 3rd last car I bought was ex rental. It was a Ford Focus. I had the car for 10 years and over that time I found the car to be responsive and with it I didn't have an ounce of trouble. I can't say the same about the last two new cars I bought. Next time, I'm again going for an ex rental car. You may say that I was just lucky, but I don't run with that.

Thankfully I am happy enough with the my 2007 Passat Estate (bought in Jan 2019 but currently <120,000kms on clock) but am intrigued about how to best buy a new motor in future. I got the VW from a small private dealer who was recommended by my mechanic. The car had the dream of 1 careful owner. I think Hertz website might be a jump too far for me!

I looked at a car at the Hertz place in Phibsborough. The sales guy was smarmy and condescending and I felt like I needed to wash my hands after leaving the place. Horrible experience. I'd never go back.

Some off-topic posts removed, best keep this on-topic and start a new thread for anything else.

Back