Hertz rental in France - outlet closed!

putsch

:(

Last week I was in France - I was arriving in town by train latish c.9pm. When I tried to book car rental online at that time in the town it wouldn't let me "office not open". So in the end I found I could book from the local airport and since I would be returning the car to the airport I thought that'd be fine - I'd get a taxi from the train to the airport. I got email confirmation for pick up at airport at 9.30. And pre-paid.
I arrived at the airport at 9.15 - office closed - since a flight was arriving at 10pm I thought maybe they'll open later (had seen this happen b4 - as I rent from this location 5/6 times a year - young guy comes screaming up on motorbike 5 mins b4 opening) however no one showed. No other rental was open and the airport was closing. I had no option but to get a taxi to the town and find a hotel to stay overnight. When I went to the office in town next morning they said - "oh yeah your car is at the airport" and got the guys to bring it down. My French isn't good enough to hold the argument there and then and anyway I was a bit upset so told them I'd be making a written complaint. they did say they had tried to phone me - but I had got no message - had been travelling for work for a few days and this was my downtime.
I'm really aggrieved - as I say I have rented from them at this location about 14 times before - never had a problem. Looks like they decided for no good reason that since they'd no other bookings they wouldn't bother to open up even though I had prepaid.
I want to to claim for my taxi, my hotel and the inconvenience - missed a day of a short hol.
Any advice on best way to make the complaint and to whom? Any expereince with Hertz?

thanks

Back