Herberton v Citywest Plaza apartments - Urgent help needed please

Delphi

Hi,

I have been offered 2 affordable apartments, and believe me I know how lucky I am. 1 from Dublin City Council and the other from South Dublin County Council. The Herberton apartment in Dublin 8 would be my no. 1 choice. Problem is that it wont be ready for viewing for months. The second is in Citywest and is on view this week.

Help! I dont know what to do as I would love the herberton apartment as my Mother lives in Dublin 8 and the location is better than Citywest. Would I be mad to wait and let the Citywest apartment go?

I will be viewing the citywest apartment this week.

What do you think?

Three words of advice Location, Location, Location. If D.8 ticks all your boxes well I think your minds made up. Most apts are basically the same on the inside, ask to look at the plans - it will give you an idea of floor space, if not available from Estate Agent, check Dublin City Council website for granted planning application. Best of luck whatever you decide.

I agree. Even if you have to wait a few months for the Herberton Apartment, if the location suits you better then it will be well worth it - especially if it is near to your family. Should you choose to move to Citywest, you may spend all your time and money travelling in to the city to see your family and friends. Also, I think that often first time buyers who don't get to live in the location of their choice spend many years afterwards trying to get a new home closer to where they wanted to be in the first place.

I would definately go with the location that suits you best.

D8 is an underestimated location imo, its a stones throw from town,local shops, park...etc. you got the luas nearby and good few bus routes. as previous posters stated go with location. Citywest is only serviced by a couple of buses and it is pretty far out. the luas isnt planned on being extended out there till at least 2011.

A few months is nothing to wait, i wouldnt personally just take the one in citywest becuse it will be ready soon. I live in citywest and when i was buying a property up here i would have much prefared one in herberton because of its close prox to town though with the prices at the time they were too expensive. Now they are affordable with prices coming down i am kicking myself i didnt wait. Citywest is a grand aul spot is very well serviced though i wouldnt think twice about it and just wait for Herberton, aswell as that who wants to live in an apt connected to a shopping centre like they are in city plaza, those desperation days are long gone...

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm going to wait until the Herberton apartment is ready for viewing. Love the location so hope it will be worth it in the end.

Many thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

Delphi

Hi,
I've seen the Herberton development a few times and I love it. In fact I've a booking deposit on a 1 bed there. I know you can only see the show units at the moment, but these give you a very good indication of the quality of the finish etc. (Have you seen the show units yet??). And compared to a lot of others I've seen the Herberton apartments look great.
The fact that the development is on the LUAS and so close to town is a plus. And there will also be a gym and retail units which will be good. I don't know much about City West but I think Herberton would be a good bet.
Sue31

Hi Sue31,

Looks like we will be neighbours. Got a call to view Herberton and I have put a deposit on a 2 bed apartment with parking in Block B and I am delighted. Having the Luas stop right outside is fantastic. :)

Cant wait to move in.

Myself and my partner were thinking of going for a 2 bed in Herberton but tonight I found this

Looks like DIT have block booked apts in Herberton for students.... nothing against students, but I'm living in an apartment block at the moment (Southgate) and the parties every weekend are driving me crazy.

What does everyone else, people who have already bought, think about this?

PS Hi everyone, I have been reading AAM for months... always a very informative read

Myself and my partner were thinking of going for a 2 bed in Herberton but tonight I found this

Looks like DIT have block booked apts in Herberton for students.... nothing against students, but I'm living in an apartment block at the moment (Southgate) and the parties every weekend are driving me crazy.

What does everyone else, people who have already bought, think about this?

PS Hi everyone, I have been reading AAM for months... always a very informative read

Hi,
has anyone else seen this?? I'm really having second thoughts about Herberton now. I don't want to be living in a block with 150 students - parties mid week etc. I've been there, done that, but now want somewhere a bit more quiet. Has anyone moved in yet, or been in touch with the developer/estate agents about it. I just emailed the estate agents so if I hear anything I'll let you know.
Sue31

I would not touch City West - it is just way too far out - with minimal ammenities. Dublin 8 would be where I would recomend over the two locations.
Cheers,
Niambh

Hi

I got offered Citywest Plaza the area suits me grand, but as i have not seen the inside of may apartments i was wondering if anybody has any opinions??

Actionmags,
Went to view citywest plaza yesterday. Mainly 2 beds left. All have balcony & storage press, non ensuite, no appliances included, Electric storage heating, shower to run from boiler unless you install electric shower yourself. Approximately 3 units per floor & 3 floors per building w/ lift. Some buildings are just for affordable housing, 1 building was to be a mix of units for open market & affordable housing & had 8 units per floor, each apt is allocated 1 surface car park space.
Think its just way too far from my workplace to be viable for me but I actualy liked the units (despite some of them having drastic views). Nothing fancy, simple, basic, bright & a bit more realistically priced then what other councils are offering.

Hi Magpie

I went to view Citywest Plaza on the first day of viewing and they only had 1 onebed to begin with. they were all 2 bed. The location suites me perfectly and I managed to get one with a terrace, my only worries were the management fee 1800 and the fact that there is no En suite (friends of mine have gotten en suites in their affordable apartments) and it seems pretty basically finnished. Although from talking to others this seems the norm

Back