Herb Garden

K

Knotty

Hi everyone,
I have a small garden at the back of the house that I would like to grow herbs in. Does anyone have much experience of growing herbs in Ireland? Information on the best time to plant, best soil etc would be great.

not a garden expert therefore wont attempt to give u advise on growing -but for several years we have grown a variety of herbs in two containers either side of back door -handy for kitchen when its raining.You can have 4 or 5 different ones in same container-stuff like parsley,thyme,chives,oregano,st.johns wort,mint.We use a lot of basil but this wont grow successfully outdoor here in our climate - leave indoor on window ledge- herb well worth having.
For past 2 years we have also grown those small cherry tomatoes successfully in hanging baskets from seed-propagate indoors first-so u can have a salad bar right at your back door:)

Usually everything I grow dies but the herbs that have survived the last few years are flat leaf parsley and rosemary.

Hi everyone,
I have a small garden at the back of the house that I would like to grow herbs in. Does anyone have much experience of growing herbs in Ireland? Information on the best time to plant, best soil etc would be great.

easiest to grow are
parsley
thyme [normal & lemon scented]
basil
sage
- all bought in pots and can be planted at any time
mint - its very invasive so put the pot below ground to help
and garlic - just take a sector of a clove and put 1/4 inch below ground

after that fennil and dill etc need to be grown seasonally.

No particular soil needed but a bag of compost [any type or garden mulch - green bin - dug into your plot] usually helps. Plant and start at any time.

post back if you need any other advice.
best of luck
oirish

I've found basil very difficult to grow, it just never thrives at all. I must be doing something wrong. And coriander just dies straight away.

the leaves can be quite soft and maybe affected by a touch of frost - but - buy iy in a liner pot established and it should do ok

I've found basil very difficult to grow, it just never thrives at all. I must be doing something wrong. And coriander just dies straight away.

I find it better to keep basil on a windowsill indoors. It needs to be picked regularly or it will become straggly and die off. Where do you buy the plants? Sometimes I find that the herbs bought in pots from the supermarket have very little root system to support them, so they die off quickly unless you really look after them.:(

Back