hen pty - hotel etiquette

nuttybud

Its a friends hen pty in galway. She is orginally from NI so her home friends/family are going for a 4day weekend. There are 3 of us who are just going down for the sat night from dublin- I think dinner is booked and then out drinking & dancing. They are staying in a really nice 5* hotel for the trip and are planning spa treatments etc for that day.

They want us to book in for the night but its €300pp for the 1 night which none of us can afford! :(

Is it very rude to book into a different hotel but still go to the dinner in the orginal hotel? Im not too sure if the hen knows the plans as her bridesmaid is organising it so I dont want to spoil it.

The bridesmaid is her sister who Ive never met so i dont know how she would react?

You should not be pressured into booking, €300 notes is very dear for one night, before even going out! I'm sure you can get a BnB or cheaper hotel close enough, Galway isn't that big (from there myself). If there is 3 of ye tell the bridesmaid that ye'll sort yeerselves out and meet them there, nothing wrong with that if ye pay for yeer dinner. Failing that, how well do you know the bride to be...what about skipping the whole thing?

Are you sure that price is correct?? That would mean if 2 of you are in a room, it is €600 for the room for 1 night?? It must be a very exclusive hotel or maybe some of the treatments are included.

Stayed recently in a 5star and it was more like €250 per room

Hi Nuttybud,

If it was your wedding, would you be annoyed/upset if people didn't book into your hotel choice? Would you actually go ahead and book somewhere that was a bit pricey? Personally speaking, I wouldn't care where anyone slept as long as they joined me on having a good night out! €300 is a bit steep to ask of anyone to spend before taking dinner/drinks/spends into consideration. All in all, its going to cost over €500 probably - are you intending on spending that much on the wedding present?

If I was you, I would go ahead and book the cheaper option, if the bride is good/close friend then I'm sure she would just be happy that you were there to share the fun and not care where you stayed.

Good luck.

Thanks all for the replies.

I just wanted to guage the general reaction & I think you are all right-my friend wouldnt mind at all but we didnt want to seem like cheapskates or that werent sticking to the group etc!

Its different for the rest as they are making a holiday out of it. I checked the hotel website and they are quoting €219pp sharing (sun-thurs), it couldnt be that much more for a sat night so maybe a treatment was included? I dont think we would have the time anyway.

We're going to book in somewhere else for the night - Im sure we'll have a great time regardless, even if we do miss the residents bar ;)

Good decision in my opinion...spending 300 euro on an evening in a hotel when you are going to spend most of the evening out is just a waste...save it for the wedding!

You are absolutely right, stay somewhere nearby, but less pricey! As another poster has said Galway isnt that big. I am sure that your friend will be delighted that you all came along and that is all that matters.

Back