Help with virus please.

Green

I have a Compaq Presario pc which runs XP. I have got a virus called Virus response Lab 2009. It appears in my pc and tells me there are a number of threats to the pc and I am given a prompt to buy a package and it gives an option to enter an email address. When I load the interent it just comes up as a blank page which means I can't download anything to delete it. Anyone any suggestions as to how I could remove it...thanks

Last edited:
if you have access to internet elsewhere, download antivirus/malware cleaner tools and copy to the infected pc and run.

Top tips as always,

Use alternative browsers to Mozilla firefox or opera.

Use Anti virus software, loads of free ones available at links in stickys and at http://100-downloads.com/more.php?c=3.
Antivir seems to be the top rated at the moment.

Use Crap Cleaner regularly.

Dont open mails from people you dont know and especially dont open attachments from them

Dont click on anything that says "CLICK ME NOW" or "YOU HAVE WON", because you havent, if you do, "YOU HAVE LOST".

How then did you logon and start this thread?

It seems to be a tenacious little, eh, fellow.
Maybe try the manual removal instructions given ?

Some folks have another computer (in their place of work for example)

Well (was there a need for the ) if he could do that why can't he download AV to fix this, or print the manual instructions on this "other" computer? Or simply write them down.

....I can't download anything to delete it. Anyone any suggestions as to how I could remove it...thanks

It took more effort to create this thread than find the fix for the problem.

How did you get this in the first place? Did you download Virus response Lab 2009 or was it something else like a codec.

How did you get this in the first place? Did you download Virus response Lab 2009 or was it something else like a codec.

Thanks for your helo, yes, it was a codec...tried saving the spyhunter to my pc but it didn't appear to run. I have a bash at removing it manually from the instructions but am not a huge pc enthusiast so will have to thread carefully.

CCleaner doesn't detect/remove viruses as far as I know?

It's a registry fixer and a browser cleaner....in any event, it is invaluable for what it is.

cccleaner i found to be great.helped when i had virus problems and when my pc was having a nervous breakdown

cccleaner i found to be great.helped when i had virus problems and when my pc was having a nervous breakdown
As pointed out above, CC doesn't detect/remove a virus. It's a great cleaning tool, which might happen to help remove a virus depending on what type it is and where it is located... but it shouldn't be thought of as any sort of "virus tool".

For what it is, a cleaning tool, it's brilliant! Usually one of the first tools I download to any computer I own or use.

As I have suggested on other similar threads - get a live bootable emergency recovery CD (usually Linux based) from one of more antivirus companies (you'll have to Google as I can't remember the specific links) and run these to do an initial clean up. Then do some more scans once Windows can boot better. Trying to clean viruses from an already infected OS is hit and miss.

thks I'll try that.

Go to [broken link removed] . It is excellent. I had a virus which I could not get rid of. They guided me through the cleaning process no problem. I am a novice as well. Don't use crap clener or any of those. They are as the name suggests...'crap'!
Download 'MALWAREBYTES' anti-malware and run it. It is quite a good tool.

Good luck.