Help with Tarmac problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T mint

Hi guys, I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Last September I had a vehicle crossing done via the council. (They use a contractor for their jobs.)

After the job was completed I asked how long before I could drive the car in and out, I was told in " the next couple of hours" I didn't use it until the next day ( no need to go out).

Right through the winter it was great, as soon as the sun came out I had problems. Each time I use the run in I get pieces of the aggregate stuck to my wheels, I end up having to brush the path each time I use the car, If I don't I end up with black bits walking into the house.

I called the council, who told me it shouldn't happen, not even with a huge car ( I have an Astra). The boss from the firm who carried out the work said it was my power steering, and to try not use it ( virtually impossible given the angle I have to maneuver in).
He told me it would stop soon, OK I thought give him the benefit of doubt.

After talking to a builder... who said it should NOT happen, I called the council back.
The highway engineer told me he was not happy, that the tarmac was lifting after 9 months, and he would get the contractor back out.

Two weeks later no visit, so called again, he promised it would be dealt with. Half an hour later I received a phone call from a chap who read out "nice guidelines to me" , and basically said "tough" they say its fine so thats that.

I'm not a happy bunny, so I have to keep brushing black sticky pieces out my path for another 12 months?( they said it would stop by next summer).

I told the chap this was not what his boss told me two weeks ago, he then started quoting grades to me, I said I understood the PEN grade system,( Google is a fantastic tool) and they should warn people of the possible lifting of tarmac BEFORE work is carried out.I also asked what grade was used ( no reply)

I told them that the weather hadn't been that hot, and I had only used the drive 4 times whilst the sun was beaming down, and yet I had places where you could now see the base aggregate.

Should I get back on the phone ? is it acceptable to have the top dressing stuck to my wheels ( not just the bitumen, actual little stones all over the place)?.
Please could someone advise.

P.S where may get a copy of the NICE guidelines he quoted to me?

PPS I thought NICE dealt with the medical profession, or did I miss hear the guy on the phone??
Thanks in advance
Lynn

OOps sorry I knew I would forget something...
It was a freezing day when the work was carried out, the Tarmac was brought in a flat back wagon with just a piece of hessian to keep it warm. I'm now beginning to think they may have used the wrong stuff to keep it pliable, ( I hear some use diesel) NOT asking for your opinions on what could have been used, just wondering IF they did " cut it back" would this make the period of evaporation much longer??

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well, guess there's no one here with knowledge of Tarmac. I'll try another forum
TA
Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back