Help with RAM upgrade dilemma? (CL3 vs. CL2/2.5, high vs. low-density, etc.)

DrMoriarty

Help an old codger out here, lads...

I want to upgrade the RAM in a two-year-old Dimension 4600 (currently 2 x 256MB dual channel) and according to Komplett [broken link removed] is the only suitable 1GB matched pair. I asked about other, cheaper kits, but they said it has to be low-density, not high... (dunno if that's a matter of 'CAS Latency' or 'Module Configuration'... 64 x 64 or otherwise?)

All over eBay I see much better prices for PC3200 DDR-DIMM 184-PIN, unbuffered, Non-ECC 1024MB kits (2 x matched 512MB), but lots of them are CL2 or CL2.5. Even when I've seen CL3, the sellers can't tell me whether the modules are low-density or no.

Basically, what's the difference? Does it really matter? Is there any reason I can't get something like [broken link removed]? Or two of [broken link removed]? [broken link removed]

Thanks for any tips you can give me; I don't fancy forking out €135-odd if I can pick it up for less than half-price on eeb!

Edit: I see all the same blah here on Amazon - mine's a PIV w/800MHz FSB, so I need the PC3200. But what's with the CL=3 & 64Meg x 64 bit. Is it really crucial? Sorry, bad pun...! [broken link removed]

DrM, can't help you out with the RAM specifics, but if you have a look at the Dell site (or ring them if you have an hour to spare) you should be able to extract the relevant info from them. If you have the original CDs/manuals that came with the PC you should be able to find it there too - they will have specified the type of RAM for upgrades.

I see standards are slipping - "Help with RAM upgrade dilemma?" - is this a statement, question, or something else altogether ?

z

Cheers, johndoe64, but that works out at £88.31/€131 delivered, which is only a shade under Komplett's €134. I just wondered whether I mightn't pick it up cheaper on eBay. I've since found a couple of sellers who've sent me a part no. that includes something like '64mx64' or '6464', so I may take a chance on one of those if the saving is worth it...

Be careful when buying RAM (especially for laptops - see the recent thread on this very topic) as what looks like compatible parts may not always work. The good think about the likes of Crucial and Kingston and the like is that they generally only recommend parts that are compatible with your PC/motherboard and have money back guarantees if they don't. Most eBay sellers don't and leave it to you to check compatibility.

I agree with Clubman - I used the Crucial memory configurator on Komplett to source memory, then bought it more cheaply on eBay... except they send me the wrong item and took ages to give me a refund, not answering my emails.

In the end I bought it on Komplett.

Be aware that there are lots of dodgy memory on eBay, especially Flash memory.

Thanks, guys, I take your point. A lot of the sellers' responses are a bit casual, along the lines of "I dunno really, but as long as your computer is PC3200 they should work fine".

Maybe I'm better off dealing with a retailer who has aftersale obligations.

Unless you can be absolutely certain that the parts are compatible I would recommend buying from the big names with a guarantee even if it costs a bit more. More than once bitten and now a little shier as a result!