help with playing viedo online - am about to go mad

oscarbandit0

I keep having a problem playing videos on my laptop - videos from rte real player etc.

at least once every week I end up having to do something to play online videos.

I've had suggestions before about installing vlc - this makes no difference. I have real one player.

Could it be a problem with the laptop or is it a sorftware problem - some incapability with windows 7?

I use mozilla.

What should I do to try an resolve this issue. I bought the laptop off dell last xmas.

Also sometimes if i want to play a dvd the dvd software freezes.

I've update jave. I have flash 10. Don't know what else to do.

Any help would be so appreciated - should I go back to dell????

Thank you.

If YouTube works then RTE Player should work. Although you say you have Flash 10, I would go to adobe.com and get the latest flash player. If it's still problematic there may be a newer version of your chosen browser available and you could also try Chrome browser to ascertain whether it's a Mozilla specific issue. As for DVDs freezing, you should play your DVD through VLC.

the screen freezes and a mesage shows in mozilla to say that the website is not responding.
video works for a while and then jsut stops working for some reason - all video playback sites - rte - channel 4 youtube etc are the same.
I have vlc - i will see can I set it up as the default player.

PS VLc doesn't seem to play anything for me - i inserted a dvd - i was asked what programme to use to play dvd - selected vlc - nothing happens!!!

Have you tried:

1. playing on Internet Explorer or Google Chrome?
  2. May be try uninstalling Real Player, shutdown laptop, leave for 5 minutes, restart and install Real Player again
  3. Try Divx Player [although VLC is the best]

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

I removed adobe player using the removal tool on the adobe website and then reinstalled. That was about 3 wks ago and I haven't had this problem since (fingers crossed).
I just wanted to put this solution up in-case anyone else was having the same problem.

Why would leaving it off for 5 minutes make any difference? If its off then its off. So restart it a second later if you want, its the same thing.

When restarting a PC or laptop, you should always let the Hard Drive 'spin down' (ie, let it stop spinning like a CD and this can take a few seconds, not a few mins). Also, if you are having problems, try removing the battery and power cord and hold down the power button. This discharges the capacitor and will give you as clean a startup as you can get without delving into the bios/software etc.

It may be a bit of a joke, but uninstalling the offending software, rebooting and reinstalling (and possibly rebooting again) can solve many a problem with computers.

Also, you should use Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the software.
This can in some cases (Compuware, I'm looking at you) result in entries remaining in the Registry.
CCleaner can be used to remove unused Registry entries (which may result in the next install of the same software to have the same problems as the previously-removed version) and also remove unwanted files (temporary files, internet cookies etc) as completely and securely as possible.
WARNING: Messing about in the Registry should not be taken lightly, as you may screw up your machine, and should not be undertaken if you are not completely comfortable with it.
Having said that, if the files are in a directory like /HKEY_USERS/VLC/... or /HKEY_CURRENT_USER/VLC/... or /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/VLC then you can probably get rid as they should relate to VLC only.

Back