Help with holiday location - at a loss!

Sophia2457

Hi
I posted a while back about our bright idea of going to Sorrento in September, but when I got quotes from hotels recommended I nearly fainted. Around €250+ per night for sea view - can't do it on top of flights, spending money etc.

So now I'm back to ask you for recommendations again. We've done Portugal and Malta to - while we loved them at the time (and Italy too, esp Rome and Sorrento) we'd like to broaden our horizons.

Basically it's 2 'older' s who enjoy a bit of history, a bit of sun and swimming (but not a real beach holiday). I don't know anything about the Eastern European countries and I'm not a fan of Greece or Spain.

We prefer self catering too - and peace and quiet! Don't want much do we!! Oh, and we don't like like package holidays either (fussy or what)

Any ideas anyone? I seem to have ground to a halt!
Many thanks

Try Turkey.....got it all in september...a couple of days in Istanbul...then off to Izmir, ephesus and finally kusadasi for the beach part of the hol...plenty of peace and quiet as the breeders will have returned home with their various offspring.

Don't give up on Italy. Consider Lake Garda, or any of the lakes in that area for that matter. Fly to Venice, Milan or Bergamo and drive to any of the beautiful little towns dotted around the lakes. If you didn't want to drive you could, I think, get the train to a couple of the towns at the southern end of lake Garda from the airports (would probably require a transfer from the airport to the train station - not sure about this). Or alternatively book a package. The area is stunningly beautiful and you should have no problem finding a bit of history/sun/swimming :D It shouldn't be as pricey as Sorrento either.

I went to Dunbrovnik and loved it. We went self catering and while it was fine the living quaters were small but we did see lovely places on our road with little men outside offering them for rent. We said we'd chance fly only if we went again -we went in mid September. Now there are lot of 'steps' so that might not suit...

couldnt reccomend Slovenia enough - been there3 times for hols already and will return - absolutely fantastic food / people / weather / prices and the coastline is dotted with nice wee towns / villages

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - food for thought!

I've been to Turkey myself twice in the days before OH and it was nice, I'm interested to hear about Slovenia - did you go independantly or with a package, Brian? Could you recommend a specific resort there as a base?

I've heard Dubrovnik is nice too but that a week is enough to take it in and we're hoping to stretch to 2 weeks - maybe we could combine it with somewhere else?

I looked up Lake Garda and was very taken with it but couldn't persuade OH! Lake Como looked lovely too. Will have to work on him :)

never thought of Madeira - I was told it was very touristy but will investigate.

Many thanks again!

Have a look at [broken link removed] for hotels in several parts of Italy. We have used them for 3 hols there and have been very happy with quality /prices.

I think if you go to Lake Garda you will like it. Plenty of self catering around but not sure of the prices. Check out villarenters.com

I am staying in Desenzano del Garda on the south of the lake and here is a set of apartments that seem reasonable at first glance....
http://www.voit.it/

Been to Krakow in Poland twice. Excellent spot, lots of things to do whatever your taste is. Lots of history. It has the history, the sun [very warm last time i was there - near 40 degrees, generally around 30 in summer time though, nice and pleasant] i'm afraid it hasn't got the beach, so maybe you cud go to a swimming pool in a hotel :p

I rented out apartments when i was there both times. We ate out every night but there was full self-catering facilities. If you do go, there is a restaurant 1 minutes walk off the main square "Rynek Glowny" called Miod Malina, definitely worth a look.

Would recommend trying the north of Germany, fly to Lubeck with Ryanair direct and hire a self catering cottage through Baltic Cottages. Can't remember the exact name of website so you will have to search. We did this three years ago and went to a beautiful ,mainly rural, unspoiled area about a mile from the sea about twenty miles north of Lubeck. Only populated by Germans, no Irish or British. We hired a car and did a fair bit of touring into the former East Germany. Roads very good , airport small and no hassle , accommodation and food cheap; couldn't recommend highly enough if you like a peaceful but different holiday. Weather in July was about 26 degrees.

Back