Help with Debt Collector and AIB in Ireland

I

iguana2007

Hello - AIB have put my case to a Debt Collector to collect 6500 euro on a credit card. However am returning to the Green Isle this August and am happy and anxious to pay back ASAP.
Its my first debt ever, have ALWAYS been good with paying back loans, have never been unemployed, my relocation to NZ wasn't a particular good move financially but hey, thats life.

Can I open a bank account in Ireland when I return? Do you know how long my name is black listed? The debt agency havent been very helpful when I ask them and have told(threatened) me with some nasty things unfortunately.

Any advise would be good. Thanks

Hi there,
You will not be able to open a bank account with AIB but you will be able to open an account with any other bank.
As the previous poster said, your details will stay on the ICB for five years. But if the bank gets judgment against you, there are various ways to enforce it and it will stop you getting credit from other institutions as they will know about it. If I was you I would try and get this sorted ASAP.
Bad move heading off and leaving a large credit card bill behind you!

Whether your history is good or bad, it will be retainedon ICB for 5 years after you have satisfied the debt - cut a deal with the debt collection company as soon as you can afford to, so that your record will register on ICB as having been satisfied.

You should also check that a judgement hasn't been registered against you, and if it has, that it is marked as satisfied, when you discharge it, of course.

It's easy to be wise in hindsight, but you do need to address this issue urgently.

Build up a savings record with your local credit union, tell them your dilemma, and they may help you to clear off the Collector debt.

Back