help! virus

G

geegee

I did a virus scan and it showed up the following:
Object:
C:\ WINDOWS\tmp.hta

Result: could be infected VBS/Psyme.

What is this and how can I fix it?

I have deleted it but it did warn me that by doing so I could do damage. Is there any way of checking if I have done any damage?

Thanks in advance,
gg

See for details on how to clean and protect your machine. According to [broken link removed] this spreads due to a flaw in Internet Explorer so pay particular attention to patching your OS and switching to Firefox.

hta

An hta is simply an html doc with an hta:application tag in the head and an .hta extension. But, an hta is run from your local machine, as an exe, not from the server as an html doc. As a local app all security restrictions are gone, for example an hta can read/write to the hard drive. HTA (HTML Application) executes code in the same way as EXE and VBS files, and should therefore be treated as dangerous
See this link for a bit more info on removing

virus

Thanks for your reply. I have searched in "files and folders" for C:\ WINDOWS\tmp.hta and it is not there. I have also done another full system virus scan and it is not there either. I did delete it earlier so it appears to be gone.

BUT my PC just seems to be running slowly when opening programmes - the biggest problem being My Documents when opened through Word 97 which does not respond.

I am using Windows XP and AVG anti-virus sotware.

Thanks again,

gg

Re: virus

I am using Windows XP and AVG anti-virus sotware.

You should run one or more of the anti-adware/parasite checkers mentioned in the topic linked above as virus checkers may not catch such nasties. You should also run a firewall if you are connected to the internet.

slow pc

May I recommend [broken link removed] which I came across here recently and have found to be very useful. Its a step up from task manager.
Id disconnect from the web. Try and open word and see how long it takes. Open procexp, start killing processes and reopen word and try and see whats slowing up the machine. Post back here if you find anything.

Re: slow pc

Coindicentally I too came across Process Explorer recently while reinstalling my home PC and have to say that it's excellent!

Back