Help! Trying to calculate the cost of buying laminate flooring

biggerry

My mother wants to put down some laminate flooring and has asked me to calculate how much it will cost (based on €15 per square meter).

I'm sure somebody will be able to help me calculate the approximate cost for the wood (excluding fitting and the underlay and whatever else is needed).

Here's the dimenstions of the area's that she wants to cover:
Room 1 - 13' x 11' = 143 sq ft.
Room 2 - 13' x 10' = 130 sq ft.
Room 3 - 10' x 9' = 90 sq ft.
Room 4 - 14' x 12' = 168 sq ft.
Hall 1 - 11' x 4' = 44 sq ft.
Hall 2 - 8' x 4' = 32 sq ft.

This comes to a toal of 607 sq ft which, (according to Excel) is equal to 202.33 sq yards which is equal to 185.01 sq meters.

If the wood is €15 per square meter, is it just a matter of multiplying 15 by 185? This comes out at €2775 which seems expensive to me.

Are my calculations correct?

607 sq ft is equal to about 56 meters squared, so your calculations are wrong...

No offence, but this is a simple algorithm, and there are many online imperial/metric convertors- could you not have double checked your math before you posted here?

-DeliaQuad

Drop your measurements into any of the decent suppliers - they'll do up a quote for you showing the area & quantities.

Hi DeliaQuad,

It might have been a simple algorithm to you, but it wasn't to me, so that's why I asked the question ;) .

I'm obviously doing something wrong in Excel.

Hi Biggerry,
Your miscalculation seems to have been in conversion of square feet to square yards. You may have divided the 607 sq ft by 3 to get 202.33 sq yards. There are 3 feet par yard but 9 square feet per square yard so 607 divided by 9 = 67.44 sq yds. Multiply this by 0.8361 (not .9144 which is yds to metres)to convert from sq yds to Sq metres = 56.39. In halls and sittingrooms there may be more than 5% off-cuts. I would allow 10%. So area needed is 56.39 x 1.1 = 62 sq metres @ €15 = €930. Remember cost of underlay and fitting!!!

DeliaQuad said:
No offence, but this is a simple algorithm, and there are many online imperial/metric convertors- could you not have double checked your math before you posted here?
-DeliaQuad

Isn't that what these forums are for? I for one am glad the question was asked as it will help me in the next few months when I go to do the same.

Thanks for your help mack, beaky and carpenter and thanks for making me feel better Reggie.:)

It turns out that i used the wrong formula in Excel. I entered a formula for converting feet to meters instead of entering a formula for converting feet square to meters square.:eek:

Thanks to Clubman for helping me with this. http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=22274

Back