Help Setting Up Wireless

IrishGunner

Ok my wireless router arrived from utv and I bought a network card from marxcomputers.
Installed the drive for the card and did the necessary with the router
The icon comes up in the task manager but when I click on firefox or explorer it wont connect ?

Also when I reboot my pc with the network card it comes up with a blue screen saying

Run a system diagnostic utility / run a memory check for faulty mismatched memory

Tech Info

***Stop:0x0000007F (0x00000008x,0x80042000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Any ideas as to how to connect and what the above means & how can I fix it ?

It means that your PC is crashing very early on possibly due to incompatible or buggy drivers for the card. If this is XP can you boot into Safe Mode (I think you press F8 early on in the boot sequence to get the boot menu), roll back to the previous known good System Restore point and then download the latest drivers (which may include later bug fixes that the versions bundled) and see if that helps?

I assume you are connected to the modem through an ethernet cable hence the card from Marx Computers. It sounds to me as if you have not inserted the network card correctly.

Did you insert the network card into a vacant PCI slot in your machine?
Did you get an AGP card for a PCI (although I'm not sure that the card would plug into the slot in this case).
Does your machine have slots reserved solely for memory expansion?
Did you accidentally move and maybe detach your existing memory module when installing the network card and this is why you are now getting the error message?

I would reopen your machine and see that everything is neat and tidy inside. Checking the above maybe a start to sorting your problem.

Hi

Thanks for the response but its gone way above my head technically as complete noobie........zoink.........

I got the usb network card and put it into a usb port at the back of the pc,I installed the necessary drivers first from the cd I got with it before I plugged it in. Does it have to be a specific usb port ? If so how do I find this out
Also bought the PC from Marx

I did nothing with the modem/ router other than turn it on

Also do I need to update my drivers and if so where can I get these ?

Thanks

You can normally get the latest drivers for a particular expansion card from the website of the manufacturer. Check the packaging for details. You may also be able to get more up to date firmware for your router but we won't go there just yet ... Marx may be able to assist you - I think that they've helped customers who have had installation problems in the past. Obviously Googling for known problems and issues with your specific hardware is also a good idea (e.g. search using the make and model/part number etc.).

Cheers

Rang Marx and they where very helpful. Have to leave it in for testing with them so no home email for me Boo Hoo
Might be able to fix it tomorrow but their only open unitl 2pm
Thus the reason I bought from them and not komplett

Will try installing & turning off Zone Alarm and then Norton and check

if not its down to Marx for me