Help required for person in A&E

car

My wifes 92 yr old grandmother taken into A&E last night (mater hospital), put into a chair at 1am in A&E department, seen at 6am. Does not appear as if she will be let out this weekend and there is currently no bed available so the chair that shes been sitting since 1am last night looks like being her fixed location for next 3 days.

Anyone know if anything be done re: organising a bed (anywhere)?

As this isnt a discussion about a medical condition persay, I hope its allowed.

BAsed on past experience with my own father,(not to the mater I have to say), do not leave them there on their own, get in the way, be as big a nuisance as you possibly can(in a nice constructive way, not abusive to the staff etc) and you'll stand a better chance, simply to get you and your nan out of the way

We've done similer with my Dad in Cork University hospital in the past. Last time I went down the next evening to A&E to get his watch which he'd left behind and people who'd been left on their own by family were still on trolleys

good luck

Posting here was a last resort but we had already made as much noise as possible everywhere in the hospital, ringing TDs etc, not sure whether that helped or not but thankfully she was reviewed by medical team and released a short time ago, so only spent the guts of 17 hours in a chair.

Posting here was a last resort but we had already made as much noise as possible everywhere in the hospital, ringing TDs etc, not sure whether that helped or not but thankfully she was reviewed by medical team and released a short time ago, so only spent the guts of 17 hours in a chair.

Glad to hear she's been let home as it has to be traumatic for someone her age to be treated like this.

Wish her a speedy recovery from everyone at AAM. :)

Hi Car
Awful you felt you had to post here in the middle of a really tough time because you weren't getting help.
I'm glad she's home. I hope she's ok.
Best people to try and access if it happens again:
1)Sister in charge
2)Consultant in charge, either casualty or the admitting team ("I do not want to speak to a member of the team, I want to speak with the consultant")
3)If no results with this (ask the sister in charge of the ward/department) :'can you please explain the formal complaints procedure in this hospital, and give me the names of who is responsible , and to whom I can address my complaint".
And unfortunately, being bolshy works. People need an advocate with them when they are unwell. I had to do exactly the same for my mum before. When you're sick, you need someone to act on your behalf, and to make sure you are being treated properly.

Nicola

Back