Help please! D8- Rough area?

B

bipvoid

Hi,

Im a female student currently looking a places to rent for the coming September.. I was hoping someone could help me work out if the areas where Im looking to rent in are rough, as I don't have a very good idea of the 'safe' and 'rough' areas in Dublin. Ive already looked at all the posts about Cork Street and Rialto on this forum, but if anybody could tell me if the specific streets Im going to list below are rough, that would be great. I would like somewhere where I don't feel unsafe walking around it at night ideally...

The first apartment Im looking at is just off Cork Street. Its on Donore Ave, which is right beside the St Teresa's Gardens area. I know that the gardens used to have a reputation for being rough (and maybe they still do) but also that they, and the whole of cork street I think, is going through some sort of regeneration project? The guy who is renting it currently told me the area was fine, but Id just like to see what other peoples views on it are...

The second place is in Rialto, and its on Thomas Court, just off Thomas Street. I have no idea what the street would be like, so any opinions would be great.

Im also looking at Drimnagh, and Ive heard that some areas of it are nice, but that some can be a bit rough.. I was looking at a place on Mourne Road, and again any opinion would be great.

Thanks everyone!

I would like somewhere where I don't feel unsafe walking around it at night ideally...

Unfortunately you will not find this in most parts of Dublin. You have to be vigilant everywhere you go and I suppose that goes for most of the country now.

The part of Dublin 8 you ask about is the South Inner city and it is for the most part rough. There is a lot of drug and alcohol abuse and some very tough residents. Having said that there are a lot of people who have moved to the area because of its close proximity to town.

I lived on an apartment on Cork St next to the Coombe hospital for 5 years and I worked on Marrowbone Lane around the corner. The apartment was set well back from the road so it was a safe place to live and quiet.

However even though I grew up in Dublin I would rarely walk alone around the streets in the dark and I would never walk through Donore on my own.

IMO this area is risky, there are still a lot of drug users around, also joy riding is a big problem. There is also gun crime. The Garda helicopters frequently have surveillance here.

The plus is that you are so close to the city centre and there are constant buses going to town on Cork st. If you could get somewhere here I would consider it safer than the streets off it.

Thomas court is handy for town but there is an old cemetry across the road from it that druggies and winos use during the day so I can only imagine what it would be like at night.

Drimnage is a mixed area now because of the Drimnage/Crumlin drug feuds but again IMO Mangerton Rd would be an established residential road that could be safe. However for a student it may be too settled for you.

You could check with the Garda stations and ask them about particular streets. Kevin St looks after the South Inner city and Sundrive in Crumlin looks after Drimnagh.

Good luck with the search.

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

You don't mention where you will be attending college?

Mourne Rd in Drimnagh is a lot further out of town than Thomas St or Cork St.

It would be right to say that depending on who you talk to you will get good and bad reports about the three areas mentioned. I would be familiar with the three areas from a long time back. Like a lot of areas in Dublin each would suffer from drug addict problems. I certainly would not be inclined to wander around on my own in the early hours of the morning in any of the three. Having said that plenty of people do and nothing happens to them.

A colleague moved out recently from the Thomas St area and did not have any problems when she lived there. Cork St does appear to be on the up because of the rejuvenation and Mourne Road would benefit greatly from the Luas.

As you say there is plenty to read on previous threads on each of the areas.

March,

The road in Drimnagh is Mourne Road (the main road leading up to the church) and not Mangerton.

Familiar with the area around Donore Avenue my grandparents live in the Tenters, I think the previous response is a bit over the top. Its fine i have never encountered any problems, if you are attending college in the city cente it would be v handy its only 20 mins walk to the city centre. There is a good mix of people in the area old, young, Irish and Foreign .

I have live in the D8 area for 8 years and currently live on Cork St, right at the junction with Donore Ave. I'm a girl living on my own and I have never had any problems in the area and have alwas felt very safe - I just take the same precautions I would take anywhere. The most I've come across is a few kids messing around the place, but honestly I really don't have any problems with the area. In fact I love it and have just bought an apartment around the corner.

I haven't lived in the area but I worked there. Just going out for lunch I felt uneasy walking around sometimes. There are drug problems in the area. Any advice you get is subjective here. I know people who have lived on Thomas Street and not cared about the visible drugs. I know someone else who says they love their area even though a burnt out car was left in their driveway. I wouldn't live in Dublin 8 based on what I've seen. If I were you I'd get somewhere more central and take a short bus ride to college.

Try and get a place as near as you can to a good frequent bus route, so that you can jump on a bus home from town at night (so you can choose not to walk it) and not have a long dodgy walk from the bus stop. So get a list of bus routes for the area you want and then check out what it says on the nearby bus stops when you view a flat.

Dublin 8 has some lovely parts to it, but none are in the areas you mention. The more eastern parts (Portobello etc) are very nice.

Whenever you ask about any area you get different replies. Some are horror stories, others are people saying they've never had a problem. Take a walk around the area(s). What do you think?

Dublin 8 has relatively high levels of crime, drug abuse and anti-social behaviour. That's not conjecture or opinion. I don't really see any great value in rents there compared to other parts of the city either. So I wouldn't live there except for a select few parts as mentioned - but then plenty of people do.

Also, I don't think relying on a bus route to avoid hassle is wise. Better to have piece of mind.

Familiar with the area around Donore Avenue my grandparents live in the Tenters, I think the previous response is a bit over the top.

Rowhite are you referring to my response?

There is a big difference between the Tenters and Donore and the original poster didn't ask about the Tenters, this is why I gave my opinion on Donore.

The girl who was in the paper last week accused of attacking 3 guys with a scissors (puncturing one guy in the lung) outside Tramco nightclub in Rathmines is from Donore. This didn't surprise me......

My feedback on the area is based on living and working there.

I would like somewhere where I don't feel unsafe walking around it at night ideally...

Unfortunately you will not find this in most parts of Dublin. You have to be vigilant everywhere you go and I suppose that goes for most of the country now.

The part of Dublin 8 you ask about is the South Inner city and it is for the most part rough. There is a lot of drug and alcohol abuse and some very tough residents. Having said that there are a lot of people who have moved to the area because of its close proximity to town.

I lived on an apartment on Cork St next to the Coombe hospital for 5 years and I worked on Marrowbone Lane around the corner. The apartment was set well back from the road so it was a safe place to live and quiet.

However even though I grew up in Dublin I would rarely walk alone around the streets in the dark and I would never walk through Donore on my own.

IMO this area is risky, there are still a lot of drug users around, also joy riding is a big problem. There is also gun crime. The Garda helicopters frequently have surveillance here.

The plus is that you are so close to the city centre and there are constant buses going to town on Cork st. If you could get somewhere here I would consider it safer than the streets off it.

Thomas court is handy for town but there is an old cemetry across the road from it that druggies and winos use during the day so I can only imagine what it would be like at night.

Drimnage is a mixed area now because of the Drimnage/Crumlin drug feuds but again IMO Mangerton Rd would be an established residential road that could be safe. However for a student it may be too settled for you.

You could check with the Garda stations and ask them about particular streets. Kevin St looks after the South Inner city and Sundrive in Crumlin looks after Drimnagh.

Good luck with the search.

dont mind this over the top BS. i live in drimnagh and its a`nice settld area. so called feud is limited to few gougers (and all around crumlin/drimnagh/kimmage/rialto/coombe etc etc areas. drimnagh is not really a studenty area - prob bit quiet. not a walk to town

thomas court/thos street is central and handy walk home from town (would walk it at any time btw).

donore ave is rough area traditionally . relatively central- not really walkable. if in apartment wont be any probs.

I know a few students who had some hassle around Thomas St. I wouldn't rush to rent in that general area tbh. That said you might be ok, and also even in a more expensive area you can get hassle. Stick to the traditional student areas if possible. It would be more fun anyway.

Stick to the traditional student areas if possible. It would be more fun anyway.

Sounds like common sense to me - I lived in Ranelagh/Rathmines/Harold's Cross years ago for some time. Had a great time - not a hint of trouble.

Most of Dublin's inner suburbs are easily walkable to any city centre location - if the OP is going to Kevin St (guess) it's easily reachable from the above mentioned.

Cork Street seems to have a lot of modern new apartment blocks recently. It seems a far cry from the no-go tag that it had in the 1980's.

Sounds like common sense to me - I lived in Ranelagh/Rathmines/Harold's Cross years ago for some time. Had a great time - not a hint of trouble.

I'm not sure these areas are affordable for students any longer, most of the firetraps we held parties in have been recoverted to family homes, I'm not sure where the student areas are now though.

I found the local garda station to be really helpful when phoning up with the "student from the country" query about whether an area is safe.

its an absolute kip of a drugs hell area,every sort of pigeon chested unemployable low life up and coming drug gangster lives there,it should be nuked,years of drug damaged inbreeding has led to a filthy ghetto,i recently witnessed an awful unmotivated attack on a guy,a truly sickening sight.

I don't know much about Dublin8. I lived on the South Circular Road around Jamse's in the old Convent years ago and it was ok.
I live in Drimnagh now, a couple of roads down from Mourne Road. Mourne Road in general has a good reputation. Depending on where you are it's about 10-15 mins walk to the Luas and otherwise there are the 122 and 123 buses, both of which are painful during rush hour - or you can walk up to the Drimnagh Road (also about 10-15mins), which has a host of buses (77, 77A, 50, 150). There aren't many shops or pubs in Drimnagh and it's a good 1.5 hour walk into town, so take this into account when deciding.

I don't know much about Dublin8. I lived on the South Circular Road around Jamse's in the old Convent years ago and it was ok.
I live in Drimnagh now, a couple of roads down from Mourne Road. Mourne Road in general has a good reputation. Depending on where you are it's about 10-15 mins walk to the Luas and otherwise there are the 122 and 123 buses, both of which are painful during rush hour - or you can walk up to the Drimnagh Road (also about 10-15mins), which has a host of buses (77, 77A, 50, 150). There aren't many shops or pubs in Drimnagh and it's a good 1.5 hour walk into town, so take this into account when deciding.

I used to live in Inchicore. Do a search for that if you plan to stay there.

Back