Help? Philips LCD TV - picture but no sound on videoed stuff

Z

Z100

It's a Philips 20PF4121 LCD TV.

Everything working perfectly....except: when I video programmes I have the picture but no sound.

Have tried reading the manual confused: ) but it's designed for people who understand this stuff, ie the under nines.

And I've had no joy Googling.

I've set it up exactly as before, with the old TV (ie TV, NTL Digi box and video) - ie scart from TV to Digi box, scart from Digi to Video, cable (RTF??) from TV to Video, cable (RTF??) from Digi to Video, aerial in to Digi box.

Do I need a different kind of cable to make the video work properly? Is there any one out there who's just bought this TV and successfully set up everything. If so: helllllllllllllllllllllllp!

Thanks.

Is the scart cable connected correctly? i.e. are you sure it's inserted into each location securely?
The way i would have connected it is as follows:
Aerial into Digi-box
Digi-box to Video
Video to TV
You should still get the signal then even when the video is turned off.
Although you can also (if you have an extra cable) connect the Digi-box directly to the TV.
Also I assume you're pressing the "0" button to get up the video when it's turned on? Sometimes when you switch to "0" it might not be the correct AV channel. So try turning on the video, then pressing the top right hand corner button (not the tv power button) on the remote control which will give you an option to select the correct channel.

As Mo3art says, you should connect the Digibox (via SCART usually) to the Video and connect the Video (using SCART) to the TV.

If you switch the Video the appropriate AV input you should be able to see and hear what the video sees i.e. which channel it is tuned to, even before you press Record on the video. So, if you cannot hear the sound when watching the video on AV then you will not be able to hear it when you playback the recorded program.

Try swapping the SCART cables for other cables - after trying Mo3arts suggestion about checking they are in securely first.

Hi mo3art, thanks a million for replying.

I'm still flummoxed! Before I removed all the cables from the previous TV/digi/video set-up I drew myself a map! Copied it cable by cable for the new set-up but have ended up with this video problem - the picture comes through fine (on channel 0) but no matter what I do I can't get the sound.

I've tested the scarts/cables on another TV/digi/video set-up in the house and they work fine so I don't think there's any problem with them. Have made sure they're securely slotted in.

This TV has a side panel of sockets, 'Audio In', 'Video In', 'S-Video' and 'DVI Audio In', wondering if I need another cable to connect the TV to the video to get sound??

No need to use other connections, the scart will do everything , but make sure they are in fully, even slightly to the side will make a difference!

Hi MonsieurBond, will start again and follow Mo3arts and your instructions step by step, if they work I will send you both 25,000 red roses (Virtual ones, of course).

.......no joy!

I used all the cables from my other TV/Video/Digi set up, which is working perfectly, and plugged them in in exactly the same way. No success. I tuned the video in to the 0 channel, you can see the video playing and all the channels come through but there is no sound at all. Double-flummoxed.

Tried just using the scarts, without using any other cables, but nothing works for me then, so am also using those RTF cables (is that what they're called?) between the TV and Video and between the Digi box and Video.

Eliminated the Digi box from the set up, put aerial in to video, scart and one of those cables from TV to video and it worked perfectly, but only through EXT1 on my 'Source' menu - which is the channel my Digital TV uses when it's hooked up. There was still the same problem when I tried to tune the Video in to '0', picture but no sound.

Promise I won't go on and on and on anymore about this, but if you reckon you might know what the problem is.......

Hallelujah! Finally solved the problem. Turned out it had nothing to do with the cables and connections, it was the System/area setting in the Install section of the Menu - it was set on 'Western Europe', when I changed it to 'Europe' or 'UK' the sound finally worked - and that was it Am I hoppin' mad that I spent 48 hours swapping cables and disconnecting other TV/video/digi boxes, while repeatedly banging my head off the table the new TV is sitting on? Well, yes.

Glad it worked out in the end.

Did you change this setting in the Video rather than the TV?

Glad it worked out in the end.

Did you change this setting in the Video rather than the TV?

Thanks MB. No, only changed it on the TV, wouldn't know where to start changing anything on the video. God knows how much trouble I'll have setting up the DVD HD that's due to arrive in the next day or two