Help needed regarding lost TD bank draft

N

nancy

My husband had a RRSP account with TD bank in toronto for 10 years. we used to have a checking account with TD bank too, since we bought a house and had a scotia bank mortgage, we cancelled the account years ago, but always kept the RRSP account with TD.

We are now working in US.
This past summer, my mom passed away in Toronto, we flew back in July for her funeral. Before we came back to US, we withdrew my husband's RRSP from TD bank in toronto to cover part of the cost. that is 24th of July.
I received the cheque middle of August, I mailed it out immediately the 2nd day to my sister in Toronto, so that she could deposit it for us into scotia bank. I did a wrong thing by not registering the mail. It got lost.

After I realized the cheque was lost, I contacted the TD branch and asked them to cancel the draft and re-issue one. The nightmare started.
First they said I have to wait for 3 months before they could reissue one, then said I have to sign an affidavit witnessed by a lawyer but don't have to wait for 3 months. This conversation went on back and forth many times, till I got the affidavit and notarized by a laywer and used fedex to send it back to them and called to make sure they received it.
Still nothing came to us over a week, I called back, but this time they said the clerk who handled this before passed it to a customer manager. When I called the manager, she said she just received this case yesterday and she was waiting for her regional manager to tell her what to do.

This customer manager called me back the next week, told me the affidavit I sent out to them won't work, this time I have to purchase a surety bond for this lost cheque.

This is the first time i turned to internet, to look for some real help from more knowledgeable people. i contacted some insurance companies, but so far no one would like to handle this or told me it would be too complicated or expensive for me to pursue this. Where is the end of the tunnel? Please lend me a hand!

Back