Help Needed configuring Belkin G+ Wiress Desktop Card

justsally

Help please

I have wireless broadband. My desktop which is upstairs didn't have a wireless card so I have the wireless modem beside it. I now want to place the modem downstairs beside the phone socket and have installed a Belkin G+ wireless card in the desktop. However, I can't seem to get beyond the installing stage - can't move on to the configuring it.:( the wireless shortcut shows on the the desktop screen but that's about all it does. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

Belkin gear usually come with a CD which has a wizard which steps you through the whole thing.

Did you install the drivers?
What type of card is it - PCI, PCMCIA/Cardbus, USB etc.?

I've been using the CD in conjunction with the manual.

"PCI, PCMCIA/Cardbus, USB etc.?" Where would I find out that information. I can't see it anywhere on the box etc. I didn't install any drivers, I didn't know I had to. Where should I look for the drivers.

When I try to remove the installed programme in order to start all over again I can't even do that. The Task Manager shows everything as running but the only way to cancel is through the Task Manager.

Thanks for the replies

It's a PCI adapter card. After I installed the card the manual stated that 'the Wizard will prompt you to install the software automatically(Recommended)'. The Wizard just didn't appear.:( Btw, I'm attempting to start all over again. Is it absolutely necessary to do things exactly as the manual states...1. Install the wireless network utility screen. 2. shut down the computer and install the card. That's the way I did it the first time, but when trying to start over must I literally remove the card and perform actions 1 & 2 in the original manner. Hate taking the card out again.

Any advice appreciated

Start over again,run install disc and then install card when prompted and then start computer again and the program will finish everything off.

Last time I had to configure something from belkin I ended up doing it all manually. I found all the info on the web somewhere.

Recently installed software for a Belkin device and wasn't too impressed, had to go online and select the correct drivers based on device, serial number and OS.They could have bundled everything up in a single install per device.

If it's the wrong OS (vista or XP) the install will look like it worked but the device won't. Uninstalling didn't properly clean up. Still once I installed the right software everything does work very well.

Not helpful now but I wouldn't have gone with an internal wireless card for a desktop PC. while in theory the wireless card is the better option, I find the USB ones less hassle. No opening the PC, and you can move the wireless receiver around if reception is a little weak.

I've tried starting all over again but haven't got any further; took out and re-installed the card, located driver update . Nothing seems to make any difference.

The manual instructs "now that the card is installed, you can reconnect the power cord, and turn it back on. After restarting the Wizard will prompt you to install software for the Wireless G Plus Desktop Card. Click the *install the software automatically (recommended)* option. Then click next. Ok so I do all that but nothing happens when I restart the computer. It's as if the setup disc wasn't there.

Any other suggestions.

I've done that, but autoplay only gets it as far as Setup, i.e start the installation all over again - which won't get me any further:( But thanks for your suggestion. There's no facility to move from stage to stage.

Aren't you supposed to run the disc before installing the card.Then at a certain stage the installation procedure stops,tells you to put in the card restart the computer and the disc finishes off the installation procedure.Thats what I had to do when putting belkin card in my Fathers computer.I'd download ccleaner and uninstall everything to do with card,run the registry cleaner and then start all over again.Disc first,then put in card,disc again.

Fixed at last! Transpired that the card wasn't installed properly even though the instructions disc acted as it it was. Played around with the card, trying various slots and eventually it worked.
Thanks for the suggestions

Back