Help-need a Central Heating Programmer with a temperature control?

NOAH

I am putting in a brand new CH system and complete re-wiring. I want to have a CH system that mixes solo rads with normal quinn/barlow types and have thermostats on the normal. This is with a grant condensing boiler. The next thing I need is a proper programmer timer with temperature control to control the lot.

However, I am having problems explaining my needs to the electrician. What I had in UK was a gas ch system with controller in kitchen and attached to controller was a thermostat that was sited at back of programmer but was in hallway. So I could control the heat temperature as well. For example I cpould set the programmer to constant, select temperature say 20c and once reached this would switch off boiler. Same for timed, set temp at say 19c for am, come on at 7am until 9am but if house rwached 19c it would switch off boiler.

The system I am getting will switch on and off, temperature will be controlled by the rad thermostats and the controls on solo rads. Plus the control on the boiler. Does not sound right to me. I want to have hot water only as well in the summer. It is an oil fired system.

Electricain says you will not get a programmer/timer with a temperature control in Ireland!!

What am I missing out when asking for what I want? Should I just say no thermostats on rads apart from solo??

Help

I have read quite a few posts on CH but cant get an answer to my dilemmna.

noah

You could ask the electrician to wire a thermostat in after the programmer. Something along the lines of [broken link removed] would do the trick. The thermostat could be placed wherever you want and just wired back to the boiler location.
Leo

Thanks for reply. And I have got a solution. I need to get a programmble room thermostat, which I had already, then put the ch on the programmer/timer box to constant on and run wires to thermostat that effectively takes over from the timer.

Will give u a link later on my one but there is on on ur link as well

[broken link removed]

thanks

noah

I need to get a programmble room thermostat, which I had already, then put the ch on the programmer/timer box to constant on and run wires to thermostat that effectively takes over from the timer.

If you put main timer on constant your circulating pump will be running 24/7. Also your boiler will be running on constant ie heating the water in the boiler and circuit (with bypass) all the time. It will cut in on a regular basis to satisfy the thermostat on the boiler.

If your going use programmable room thermostats use a relay at the pump/boiler and forget about the main clock. You would also use the prog. Stats to open valves for certain zones. You can use the relay on some circulating pumps for this, ie you zone your house using “5-wire” circulating pumps.

If you have the money the CM Zone from Honeywell is the business

[broken link removed]

Thanks gffor reply.

What I have at the moment in the house I am in is a immersat general time switch, this is linked to the boiler. I then asked the electricain to run a cable from the boiler I think to a wall stat which I had in the hallway. I then replaced the wall stat with DIGISTAT 3 programmable thermosatat with frost protection. This allows me to control heat at will. I can also set it to constant on and set a desired temp. I can go away and leave it a low temp to which house will not fall below. You can get a wireless one of these as well and take it round the house with you. However, I want to have the facility of constant water when I move and this has to be independent of the ch. So I need the programmer box for the water. The room thermostat will not allow control of water unless I run rpund and swicth off all the radiators. I have a stat on boiler as well.

I was told of the thermostat workround by a guy from Horstman so I was told to get the c27 controller and then link this to a horstman room thermostat. heres the link, scroll down

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/central-heating.asp

for digistat 3 see here

[broken link removed]

My understadning is the wall thermostat overides the programmer always on so no feed will go to boiler until wall thermostat calls for heat.

I hope I have not missed the obivious. I had all this with a honeywell programmer that was installed in 1992.

The secret of that one was the link to the wall thermostat that I placed in hallway, in fact it was just a sensor, the temp r4ead out was on the programmer display.

noah