Help mounting LCD TV to wall

gerryp2000

My current 28' CRT sits on top of a tv-cabinet (W200cm,H40cmD50).
I was thinking of taking the easy option by just putting the LCD on this cabinet. However, my 2yr son is very active and I have a fear that he will pull it down on top of him. There was an article in the paper over the weekend whereby this happened to a 2yr old who died. So you can undertand my concerns.
I have ordered a Sony KDL40W4500 ( see thread "Which 42' LCD???).

I think I have two options;
1) Put an LCD Pedestal behind the existing tv cabinet - this will hide all the messy cables and wont ruin the wall behind the cabinet.

or

2)
Mount it (above the tv-cabinet) onto the wall between my duplex and next door. This wall is solid concrete.
I think this job might be too much for me to take on.

Can anyone recommend someone to do this? or is there an another safe option I may not have considered?

We were in the exact same position, 32" LCD on a unit that my toddler can reach, but wall we wanted to mount it on is solid concrete. We just this week bought one of these, from Ikea (though I'm sure you could similar in other places), and it is much higher now than he can reach. Plus all the cables and Sky box etc is locked away, so he can't break that (again!)

Hope that helps.

Jaybird - replacing our unit isn't an option - it's part of a suite that was given to us as a wedding gift - but what I could do is;
  • Attach a panel of wood to back wall (allow for a gap for cabling)
  • put holes in the panel, allowing for the lcd to be attched to the wall behind it. (am I making sense?)
Thanks for idea from Ikea.

Back