Help me choose a new car

As I said it's still a Skoda
Ithink that 'joke' is so old at this stage...anybody who knows anytthing about cars knows that the Octavia is a fine vehicle. Those peopkle who joke about Skoda are just showing their ignorance at this stage.

Ithink that 'joke' is so old at this stage...anybody who knows anytthing about cars knows that the Octavia is a fine vehicle. Those peopkle who joke about Skoda are just showing their ignorance at this stage.

I'm collecting mine this morning, My first Skoda (sounds like a childs product ) So I'll tell you this evening what they are like.

I'm new to this site but was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Volvo S40 SE 1.6 D. I was looking at them at weekend and they look lovely and drive well in my opinion but I'd love to hear others opinions. Does anyone know if they keep their value as trade ins.

Does anyone know if they keep their value as trade ins.

Not really. It'll depreciate slighty above average.

Also, the 1.6D won't be nearly as desirable as the 2.0D when it comes to re-sale. I'd imagine anyone buying one 2nd hand would prefer the 2L.

The 2.0D costs about €36k, and will lose about 5-6k per annum for each of the first 3 years. (or about 45-50% of cost. This is pretty normal in that category).

A matter of opinion only.

I've been in planty of Octvias - usually taxis. They are cheap and cheerful.

The bottom of the VW evolutionary tree.

In the Irish market I'd suggest the opposite is the case. A smaller engined diesel will always be in high demand. The 1.6 peugeot/ford unit is well up to the job in a S40 too. 110bhp and it is very light on fuel.

The 2.0 category is much slower move used.

I have a volvo S40 SE 05 1.8 Petrol, paid 32K for it. The Garage I bought it from said they would give me 24K of trade in thats only 25% decrease in two years, pretty good. He said he has a list of buyers waiting on this spec of car. The new S40's seem to hold there values well.

Miria, go for the S40, great spec with leather interior etc.

In the Irish market I'd suggest the opposite is the case. A smaller engined diesel will always be in high demand. The 1.6 peugeot/ford unit is well up to the job in a S40 too. 110bhp and it is very light on fuel.

I see you point for sure. I wasn't aware of the bhp of the 1.6D, but figured that someone searching for a car in the S40 size category would be looking for the 2L diesel workhorse-type car. If I was looking for a 1.6D, I'd chose a 307 or Focus or Corolla etc.

First of all - the Skoda is only the bottom of the VAG tree in terms of price.....in all others, it's at least - if not actually better - their equal.......

The only caveat I'd have on the S60 is depreciation and niggling electronics. I know somoene who has only now just managed, after nearly a year, with persistant electronic problems, to make them take the car back. It really was a nightmare. As for engine size, in the Irish context, the 1.6D will be more attractive in the s/hand market - the 2.0 can be just a step too far for tax/insurance etc. Btw, that good 25% depreciation figure is only against another Volvo.........I don't believe you'll get anything like that against any other brand if you want something else next time.

And of course, the S60 IS a Focus, so you should look at that - in Ghia spec if you like.......

If reliability is a concern I think everyone should try honestjohn.co.uk which in turn links to reliabilityindex.co.uk

Between them you should have almost all you need to know about good/bad points and overall reliability rating of most cars - unsurprisingly Japanese cars occupy 9 of the top 10 most reliable in the last decade.

Although some just won't buy Japanese anyway...

Reliability is probably not the sole factor in buying but at least if you have your heart set on something you can be reassured/warned as the case may be - some high spec marques that you would assume are fairly reliable or that are marketed as reliable are often not - according to the above sites anyway