help me choose a new car! Don't think the Celica is going to work out

garythegreat

I was going to import a Gen 7 celica from the UK before July, but have looked into it and it and the price of the car + VRT will be about 8.5k, then my insurance will be 1700 and then 500euro tax per year(thats the price incl. the (9% increase) and think its just strectching it to much money wise.

So i think i may get a diseal after July in order to save on Tax and VRT. Can anyone suggest a nice sporty Diseal? i was thinking along the lines of a JTD Alfa 147, should be a lot cheaper than the Celica.

Any other suggestions (either cheaper petrol/or a decent diseal)
And i dont like the BMW 320d, there going to be so common on the roads post July as well!!

Re: help me choose a new car! Dotn think the Celica is going to work out

Haven't driven a diesel 147, but a big fan of the petrol version. Plenty of choice on Autotrader.co.uk. I wouldn't have thought it is as 'sporty' as a Celica however. You get a lot for your money though-alloys, climate control, 10 cd changer, steering mounted stereo controls, cruise control are pretty much standard.

They seem to hold their value pretty well though-prices start at GBP4,500 + VRT for cars with high mileage on Autotrader-not sure if the cost of buying will be much less than the Celica, although fuel and road tax should be less.

never mind a 320d, how about a 330d instead? It'll blow an M3 away on a normal Irish 'N' road.

Audi A4 TDi Quattro is another option, as is the Leon Cupra TDi.
Alfa GT is beautiful but I know nothing about it apart from the fact that I think there's more diesel versions of it on the road than petrol.

A diesel Alfa GT will cost around €22k. Insurance (for a 28 year old male) is €1,100.

A diesel Alfa GT will cost around €22k. Insurance (for a 28 year old male) is €1,100.

What year?
I thought they were about €40k new.

never mind a 320d, how about a 330d instead? It'll blow an M3 away on a normal Irish 'N' road.

Sorry but it won't. M3 is a very very fast car. 330d is merely quick.

OK, a chipped one. PBMW did an article on it. £300 and it's a better real-world car.

This is in E46 guise.

Would love the M3 for a while though.

Thanks. They came out in 2004, is that correct?

Yep. I'm seriously considering one at the moment. VRT on a 2004/05 model will fall by around €1500 in July if you buy a used version in the UK. I asked Gerry Campbell about the engine and he said it was fantastic and he's not aware of any issues. The Alfaowner forum has one or two stories about potential issues with the timing belt/water pump that might be worth checking out, although I'm not sure that it's as big an issue as it was for the 147. Trouble for me is that there are too many silver versions out there and I would rather another colour. The stereo can read MP3 files from a cd, which is great-but that could be a feature on certain models (Sportivo maybe).

A company called Novitec can do some things to it for you too...
[broken link removed]

No affiliation with 'em (more's the pity).

I had a petrol GT for 2 1/2 years and it was a cracker. No problems whatsoever. Havent heard of any real problems with them either. Just make sure it has rear parking sensors. Rear visibility is absolutely minimal but dont let that put you off - you get used to it.

Yep. I'm seriously considering one at the moment. VRT on a 2004/05 model will fall by around €1500 in July if you buy a used version in the UK. I asked Gerry Campbell about the engine and he said it was fantastic and he's not aware of any issues. The Alfaowner forum has one or two stories about potential issues with the timing belt/water pump that might be worth checking out, although I'm not sure that it's as big an issue as it was for the 147. Trouble for me is that there are too many silver versions out there and I would rather another colour. The stereo can read MP3 files from a cd, which is great-but that could be a feature on certain models (Sportivo maybe).
Go for it, they are fantastic cars. I can't think of a better drivers car for the money.

That's good to know guys, thanks.

Most of this is probably outside the scope of what the OP is looking for, so apologies for dragging it off topic.

Lads im 24 with 1year NCB theres no way ill get insured on a Gt!

Thanks for the suggestion of A Leon Cupra, never though of that. Or the Audi - was never really a VAG person but i'll look into them.

But for an extra bit of cash, the celica seems the much better option?

Back