Help - Gaps in solid wooden floor!

A

ashdo1

Any suggestions for treating gaps which have appreared recently in two places in my solid walnut wooden floor. Really noticeable in the middle of the room! It is a floating floor on elastilon membrane over UFH. Gaps are wide enoughto fit 2 one euro coins together in. Notice the floors seems loose in areas and seems to spring underfoot. Not same in other areas. Room is quite hot lots of glass and a stove. Floors laid just over a year ago. Thanks for any suggestions.

Happened in my conservatory last summer, is there a slight hump?
Our fitters had to come out and remove skirting to trim floor, It had expanded in heat. Hope this heps. (it ended up being a very small job to fix! thought it would cost a bomb)

Thanks so much. There aren't really humps just large gaps. Think I will have to have some carpenters come out and see what can be done. AM expecting to part with mega money to have it put right though.

This has happened to our solid floor in the living room too- again fairly hot room - open fire, 2 double rads and double patio doors. Would be v interested to here how you get on/cost wise etc. Father in law is a carpenter and is coming for a visit at the end of May, going to hold out til he has a look and see if he can do anything for us. Good luck.

MrsBell

nothing you can do (unless you're going to take up the floor) - gaps have appeared because the floor has dried out (most likely because heating has been on for extended period over winter) - the gaps will probably close somewhat but maybe not all when the heat is off and the relative humidity indoors increases.

hi, Ive laid a few floors in my time (non proffesionly) If it is a floating floor can you remember if the fitter glurd the boards or not? Either way it wont be a huge problem. Remove the skirtong that runs parralel to thew boards and also the nearest one. Then it is simply a matter of jacking the boards together using wooden blocks and2 crow bars . I regular carpenter or floor layer should do it in about 10 minutes Best of Luck. Let us know what happens.

my brother fits floors, and solid wood floors expand and shrink according to heat/cool all the time, friends wood floor has large gaps which disappear as weather warms up, i'll ask bro and get back to u