HELP - Freesat ignorant here and looking to get it installed

Ned_ie

Hi all

Am based down in Cork an we just lost all our channels as SCTV went wollop. I am now looking to get a Free Sat installed but am totally ignorant on this.

Was hoping to have it installed in such a way that I could watch it in 3 rooms in the house. But am told you cant do that.

Any an all help appreciated

A

You could buy a Freesat receiver, get a satellite dish put up with a triple of quad LNB, which will have 3 or 4 feeds off it.

These feeds could then go to 3 different locations in the house, where you would have a fairly basic Freesat receiver connected to a TV. So you would get 3 different signals coming into house.

Perhaps an [broken link removed] would fit the bill for you ?

Argos stock them...

RMFC - thanks - where would i get that?

Gianni - thanks - would that mean that I would be watching the same thing in each room?

Gianni - thanks - would that mean that I would be watching the same thing in each room?

The only way to watch different channels in separate rooms is as RMFC explained. A separate feed for each tv from the lnb on the dish.

If you get a dish that has only a single lnb usually it can be replaced with a quad lnb. (4) feeds.

Next Thursday lidl are doing a full free to air system for €80 may only have a single lnb but check that out first.

There also selling set top boxes or receivers as their sometimes called on their own for €60.

Just remember none of this will give you the Irish Digital Channels.

Also I heard that the dish's from aldi/lidl are pretty light weight and prone to be blown out of tune in high winds so you get what you pay for.

Quality Gear: If your not cash strapped your better off buying branded receivers..usually marked Freesat or Sat4free they are much more user friendly as regards auto updates etc.

Have a look at Satellite.ie

I have no connection or interest with them but it will give you an idea of the cost of installing a good system. eg a one room set up all in including installation..... costs. €230

Here's a quad LNB at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/VISIBLEWAVE...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283154332&sr=8-2

As you can see they don't cost too much.

As for buying 3 receivers, well you can go for the basic SD (standard definition) ones like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grundig-GUFSAT02SD-Digital-Box-Freesat/dp/B002IWA1F2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283154405&sr=1-3

or a bargain one here

or if you want to pick up some HD channels (only 2 currently on Freesat) then something like this:

But once you have 3 or 4 feed LND on your dish, and then 3 separate cables coming into your house and different rooms, plus 3 separate receivers, then you can watch 3 different channels at once.

Any more questions feel free to reply or PM.

Pudds / RMFC

Thanks a million for this guys

No problem. I currently own a Freesat HD box and its excellent.

I have been a Sky subscriber for approx 20yrs, but am seriously considering cancelling it for Freesat. Its simply too expensive for what you get. OK I love my football and will miss it, but I will visit the brother or pub for the big games and make do with the highlights I see. In the last few years the amount of repeats and flicking aimlessly to find something to watch has become apparent, plus I don't watch much TV any more.

I don't even have the movies, only the sports, yet it costs over £504 each and every year (I have a UK card). I will use my current Freesat HD box upstairs, and then buy a Freesat PVR for the living room for £200 once off payment. That will provide me with what I need.

Hi,

Triax have a combination receiver which has a built in Freesat HD decoder and also a DTT digital tuner to receive RTE digital. So simply you will need a satellite dish and depending on where you live either "rabbit ears" or an external TV aerial.

[broken link removed]

The digital rollout is due for completion by oct 31st 2010.

Back