Help -foam underlay with ufh

ted

Could anyone recommend a brand and approx. costing of supply for a thermal conductive underlay to be used with an engineered wooden floor and ufh? I've searched through previous threads but no specific info. I just got my wood delivered and see the supplier has also delivered the standard foam which I heard on this site is not suitable for heat transfer with ufh.

I'm not sure: is this underlay to be placed between a concrete (UFH-) floor and a timber floor? Or is it to be placed between a timberfloor and heat deflector panels?
In the latter case you wouldn't need an insulating underlay but a friction noise surpressing underlay. Simple brown paper of the stronger type in large sheets/rolls might do the trick.
What is the UFH manufacturer proposing?

Hi heinbloed - ufh installer didn't recommend any method as I didn't ask him, I suppose I should now. The ufh is in a concrete screed and I have the engineered boards floating on top. Yes the underlay goes between.

their a underlay called elastilon that used for floating solids and is specially for under floor heating.it keeps the solid wood neatly in place and no gaps will develop even on under floor heating.i have used it in houses and apartments and easy for fitters to use,i have layed a few floors onto ufh with glue and is very messy,you can buy it in doors@floors for 12 euro a sqyd. the chippie

Hi Chippie Is that doors@floors - could you give me a web address or street, city or tel? I did a Google on them and couldn't find them. Cheers

doors@floors 014600599 or try [broken link removed] in cork i think they have it 10 euro sqyd. to get the best heat from your ufh the flooring should not be more than 14mm and elastilon is only 2mm.

doors and floor sell it by the yard-or by the roll which has 60yards in it. if you find the cost is bit much, i can get it a good bit cheaper from the supplier ,as they sell it just by roll if that helps.

how much would 2 x 60 yd2 rolls cost? - saw it for 10E/yd in Cork - the link you gave me. Just realised that when I originally spoke with wood supplier he gave ball park quotes which was to include some kind of thermal conducting layer but in the final quote after measuring up he didn't mention it and I'd forgotten - paid deposit and didn't llok closely enough at receipt and only noticed when it arrived. I called the store and asked them to clarify with me as I had doubts over using foam with ufh - said that we had discussed better product - so they've to call back. Hopefully they'll offer something.

Do you have any one to sign the job, someone who has to take the blame when the UFH doesn't meet expectations? The entire job as described seems dubious to me.....
One thing is for sure: such a system as described doesn't save on the heating bill due to high flow temperatures. Check the previous posts here on UFH.