Help ... E3.5k to install gas fire?

RuthS

Does this sound mad .... we're putting a new 'hole-in-the-wall' style gas fire in our new extension - currently being built.

We saw a model we liked a while back (costing €2,800). We have had the builders build a 'breast' to accommodate it, and the guy from the shop eventually called out yesterday to look this over and give a total price to include installation.

He called me today - total price is €6265 - €3.5k more than the cost of the fire.

Does anyone know:
a) what's going on?
b) where else should I be looking for a fire? Fast?

Thanks,

RS

Can you buy the fire and then get some quotes elsewhere for installation? I had a gas fire installed in England for about £400 sterling, and this was by a Corgi registered fitter (i.e. not a cowboy).

I second the last poster. Call Bord Gais and they'll give you a list of registered installers. You'll probably have to get one of these out to commission the fire once installed anyway. Give one of them a call and they'll tell you how much you should be paying for this type of installation.

IMHO, if your builders have done all of the preparation work for your installer, then it sounds like you're being seriously overcharged for the installation.

My ex apprentice is a reg gas fire installer and he certainly doesn´t overcharge If you are really cocerned I can ask him to quote you.

Thanks theplumber - I might get back to you. We had a few other people look at the job and I'm waiting for prices back.

RS

Would a gas fire be very heavy on gas? My neighbour never uses her because it is so expensive.

Certainly less efficient than turning on the radiator in the room

Ok you can make an exception on Christmas day