Help! 2 juicy couture bags stolen, new york

Cormywormy

Thanks to all who replied to my last thread ,about my passport going to Newyork.It was a great trip accept that my sister had 2 juicy couture bags stolen. I rang the hotel and they said they checked the cctv tapes, but they said nobody entered the room the morning they were stolen. It was the friday i was leaving.We went out at 8 in the morning shopping , then we returned to the room at 9, to get our bags for the bus as we were leaving for the airport. We came home and realised the bags were missing out of her suitcase.But as the hotel says nodoby entered the room.The hotel maneger said that the bags were stolen at the airport. Can i take his word for it, did anybody have this experience before and can somebody give me advice.Can i ask for the cctv tapes to check the hotel is telling the truth.Thanks in advance, i await your repley.

Cormac

Hmm this sounds a tricky one. You can ask for the tapes but it doesnt mean that he will give it to you. Perhaps you should file a report with the nearest Police Station or something? I mean, theft is a crime and reportable whether you live in the country or are just a visitor.

Did you have any Insurance when traveling or insurance on your credit cards for items that are stolen or damaged ??

Did you fly out of JFK?

I have heard stories from a few people that had things stolen from their bags on the Aer Lingus flights from JFK. Travel insurance didn't cover it either!!

I'm sure there is a thread on the subject in here if you do a search.

Rang the hotel, have to ring back on tuesday to talk with the directer to see can i get the tapes.The travel insurance said that i have to pay 100 euro to claim and its not worth it as she paid 180 for the bags.

Rang the hotel, have to ring back on tuesday to talk with the directer to see can i get the tapes.The travel insurance said that i have to pay 100 euro to claim and its not worth it as she paid 180 for the bags.

Better to lose €100 than €180 in these recessionary times?

Would be 99% confident the bags went at the airport, theft from baggage is not uncommon. Bottom line is never ever check in anything you don't want to lose.

I doubt it was the hotel. I've stayed in the dodgiest kips in New York and never had anything taken on me. Even when I've left valuables all over the place. I would be 99.9% sure its JFK. Was in the states in Oct and on the way home one of the girls bags were too heavy so my mate put some clothes into her big hand luggage and checked it on. She forgot to take out all her good jewellery, approx €8K and when she got home it was gone. Obviously taken out in JFK by customs or baggage handlers. Send them a stinking letter is all you can do but I wouldnt go blaming the hotel. Highly unlikely anyone would go through your bags in a hotel.

Was talking to the hotel director and he said 2 cleaners entered our room when we were at breakfast. And they had no other reason to go in.