Heineken Cup Final- Cardiff Any suggestions re hotels/b&bs/even campsites nearby?

rustbucket

Anyone got any suggestions re hotels/b&bs or even campsites near enough to Cardiff?

Have tried about 30 b&b's in Cardiff, Newport, Penarth and Barry. All booked out.

Most Hotels also booked out- ones remaining are about £200 per night!

Check out Bristol...less than an hour by train. Lots more accommodation. Cardiff's accommodation shortage is a total disaster given how many major events are held in that stadium.

Check out Bristol...less than an hour by train. Lots more accommodation. Cardiff's accommodation shortage is a total disaster given how many major events are held in that stadium.

Agreed.
The trains leave from right next to the Milleneum Stadium - on the two occasions I travelled there for Heino finals we stayed in Bath which is a really nice city and far better than Wales which frankly is a bit of a toilet.
And the Welsh can be a bit off-handish if you know what I mean.

Got sorted last night. Some rugby club near Cardiff have opened their grounds for camping. Advertised on Leinster Rugby website. Cheap enough and loads of room left apparently

Cheers for the suggestions

Its Llandaff rugby club in case anyone else is interested. About 20/25 mins walk to stadium or short hop on bus.

Agreed.
The trains leave from right next to the Milleneum Stadium - on the two occasions I travelled there for Heino finals we stayed in Bath which is a really nice city and far better than Wales which frankly is a bit of a toilet.
And the Welsh can be a bit off-handish if you know what I mean.

To be fair to the whole of Wales, it's Cardiff that is a toilet. For the one HEC final I attended, also in Cardiff (Hand of Back :D), we stayed in Bristol which was, IIRC, about 30 minutes by train and a much nicer place to enjoy the night.

I go to Cardiff quite a bit for matches and I must say it has come on a hell of a lot. Lots of new restaurants, big John lewis with great shopping centre and I find the people very freindly.
You all must be going to the wrong spots!! ( helps that I have a sister there and she knows where to go ;-) )

I go to Cardiff quite a bit for matches and I must say it has come on a hell of a lot. Lots of new restaurants, big John lewis with great shopping centre and I find the people very freindly.
You all must be going to the wrong spots!! ( helps that I have a sister there and she knows where to go ;-) )

I've been there twice, most recently in 2004, and have no desire to ever return. It's not the geography or the architecture of the place. It's the general demeanour of the place and the people who go into the city at night. It's the kind of place where I feel I need to be looking over my shoulder.

On the other hand I've been to Edinburgh more times than I can remember and would return any time.

I was there in March this year. In fairness 2004 is 7 yrs ago. I always feel safe there. Perhaps you were frequenting the wrong spots!
I should also say that I wouls have felt a little like you in the earlier years that I went but not in the past 3 or so.

I've been there twice, most recently in 2004, and have no desire to ever return. It's not the geography or the architecture of the place. It's the general demeanour of the place and the people who go into the city at night. It's the kind of place where I feel I need to be looking over my shoulder.

The do say the best thing ever to come out of Wales is the M4 motorway !

Back